Nylon sock and Polycrylic - Sheesh!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugenefl

Reaction score
Alrighty, I need some pointers here guys. For anyone that has used the nylon sock and polycrylic method, how many coats of polycrylic did you have to go through before the surface was smooth? I've probably applied near 4 coats of polycrylic and all I feel is nylon sock. I test sprayed some primer and can already tell it's way too soon to try and spray fill the hose. Should I abandon the polycrylic and use some finishing epoxy to try and fill the rest?

Thanks in advance...

Feeling "hosed" LOL! :D

What I did, was about 4 coats, and I probably sanded only between 2-3, and 3-4, and after 4. Then I got the can of Kilz out and solved all the problems. A couple of light sprays of that, and you have to let it set overnight or better a couple of days and you'll be amazed at how smooth it is. There is a trick to the type of nylons, basically, you want the mid to expensive ones and *sheer*. And you want to stretch them *pretty* well, not fully tight, but it all helps. I've done a 2.6" Phoenix that way, and a scratch built Blobbo and a 3" Dual deployment Loc Forte Clone.

But my latest is 3oz glass and peel ply. You rol on the glass with a paint roller, and immediately roll on a layer of peel ply. You'd be amazed at how light and how strong that can be.

Alan

it's a nylon type of covering that epoxy won't stick too. They use it in vacuum bagging all the time. Do a search and you'll see some examples.

Alan

Originally posted by aadamson
What I did, was about 4 coats, and I probably sanded only between 2-3, and 3-4, and after 4.
Alan

Unfortunately, if I tried to sand at this point I'd sand away at the sock. I'll keep coating and possibly try some finishing epoxy to fill the nylon rough spots.

Back