NCR Bomarc

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbeckey

Reaction score
I am looking for plans, parts lists and pattern sheets for an NCR Bomarc. Can anyone out there help me?

I have an original NCR Bomarc shrinkwrapped in the packaging that I will be putting up on eBay shortly. I will keep you posted if you are interested.

Worst come last, you could always download the plans from JimZ's website and upscale to the size of the Bomarc.

Please DO keep us posted. I don't think I'll be able to compete with the eBay auction price it'll go for but I'm willing to try!

I'd dearly love to have that Bomarc, but I'd probably use up a whole year's rocketry budget to get it, and then I wouldn't want to open the sealed box. My interest is in a more practical application that can be flown without undue concern for damaging a collectable item.
I'd like to have the NCR plans as reference if nothing else. I considered an upscale from the plans at JimZ's, but thought that there might be special materials or techniques that were not obvious, with the big wings and so forth.

The NCR Bomark is supposed to use molded plastic wings similar to the two part fins on the "E" powered V2 that Estes recently put out. It does use heavy cardboard stock for the channel that runs along the upper body tube. The cardboard is scored lengthwise and then folded around a mandrel to create a 1/2 round tube.

I have a partially completed Bomark that I obtained from a modeler who gave up on it halfway through. Hopefully this winter I'll be able to reproduce it using HPR techniques so I can fly it next year on H's and I's.

Ken

I wonder if foam core board with balsa leading/trailing edges would be a reasonable replacement for the molded wings?
Would you be willing to measure the parts for me and post a list?Just something simple I could reproduce the ship from.

you guys should whatch ROL...there was a bomarc on there just the other day. It is a cool rocket. Keep looking you will find one. I was looking for a NSR SA-14 Archer and I eventually found one...keep checking ROL!!!!!

Bob,

I was going to disassemble the model and get dimensions from all of the parts myself in about a month. I'm tied up just now getting ready for the NSL. Once I have the dimensions I'll be happy to post them or e-mail them to you.

As for the use of foam board I was considering using it with a covering of 4oz fiberglass or 5oz carbon fabric. Those big wings need to be strong to make me feel comfortable about flying such a rocket.

Ken

IMHO the foamboard laminated as you said would work great. I've used it in HPR (only H's tho) with dowel edges and no fiberglass. Survived boost and landing and one crash just fine.

Ken,
I will not be getting a LUEP, so G is it for me. Perhaps a nice 29 mm cluster? Two or three G80s might get a reinforced NCR Bomarc up there a ways.
Whenever you get around to posting the dimensions will be fine. It will be cool to have several Bomarcs in various and assorted sizes, from mini brute to NCR.
Will the NCR Bomarc glide? Was that the original intention or can it be modified to do so?

The NCR Bomarc was designed strictly as an apogee deployment rocket using 100% "F" and 20% "G" motors. I did hear, however, of one instance where one glided for a second or two due to a "bonus" delay.

As for the dimensions and details I'll start on them within a week after NSL. My intention is to build a Bomarc clone that will fly on "G" to "H" motors. The same size as the original but "beefed up" a little to handle slightly higher power.

I've had good luck doing this with NCR kits before. My Level-I certification was made on an NCR "Big Brute" which had only minor modifications. It has flown perfectly to date on motors ranging from a G64-4 to an H180-10. A total of 18 flights with only one minor fin crack caused by a tangled parachute.

Ken

I've had a Bomarc "fantasy project" for awhile myself:

1) Launch on a G cluster.

2) Airstart two F's in the outboard nacelles.

It'd be way cool if it actually worked. Biggest problems I can think of would be keeping the nacelles attached, and probably some CG issues.

Originally posted by rbeckey
I wonder if foam core board with balsa leading/trailing edges would be a reasonable replacement for the molded wings?

in this case I would suggest the use of spruce for leading and trailing edges in place of balsa

it is MUCH more durable against dings and dents and not much heavier, and since you are looking at a high-power model anyway, the slight weight penalty (I think) would be worth it

you should probably still use a layer of glass all over, like these other guys have recommended, in addition to the spruce

Back