Dual deployment & gadgets and stuff

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soooooo, if the main charge fired at 500 feet altitude it could take anywhere from 50-100 ft to KEEEERSPLAAAATTTT!!!!!! for the chute to fully deploy?

;)

My level 3 fired at 750'. That is a 13' chute and about 20' worth of shock cord.

For all its worth, the original GWiz units deployed at 400 ft, and quite a few people complained this was too low for large rockets (they now have an 800 ft option). I deploy my 4" J rocket at 400 feet and that is *plenty* of margin.

If the chute's going to deploy immediately, almost any altitude will do. Additional altitude is used more as a safety margin than anything. If your chute hangs on something, it gives it a little more time to wrench free. Another scenario that I've seen was that a guy had his drogue fail to deploy. He came in ballistic and when his main fired at 500', the chute didn't deploy until about 50 feet. Well, he had about 30 feet of shock cord in the rocket and a tree that was about 30 feet tall. Neither the tree nor the rocket fared very well. :D

randy/air force:
Right now the AD2 altimer is on "back-burner" test status.....what the heck does that mean? well I'm building and test flying models for naram-45 so I don't really have much additional time left over to play with the altimeter..... My email address is [email protected] so if you need or want to contact me, be my guest...

My purpose in getting this specific altimeter is I want to do "low/mid" power (DEFG) minimum diameter (13/18/24/29mm)dual deployment....

Why? well if you have limited flying field resources like I do, and still want to launch G models, and recover it, dual deploy is the way to go from my point of view....

I might add that you can always use engine ejection with this altimeter if you so desire....

goto:
https://mywebpages.comcast.net/shockwaverider/PICO-AD2_instructions.pdf

to get a beta manual of the pico alt ad2 altimeter....

shockie B)

but ..I was hoping Spike(trf member) would give a report here about his sucessfull level 2 flight..he used a loc minnie magg for his level 1 flight than the following week, he added a section of body tube and some nose weight and made his level 2 flight .about 1600 ft and landed pretty close to the pad ..he used no electronics..just motor ejection and very good planning and construction techniques...If anyone is interested I'll see If I can post more details in annother thread...also there is a club member in the area building and selling altiliters with ejection for around $30 ..I'll try and get more info on that as well..as soon as I can try one out myself....

Back