Motor Clips?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crashinj

Reaction score
:( I spent most of this afternoon running around pretty much for nothing. I'm looking for a source of I guess its spring steel. Ya know the metal used to make motor clips for the smaller model rockets 13, 18 & 24mm.

I went to Lowes, Menards, Ace hardware stores, then off to a machine shop, and finially 2 different sheet metal shops here in Rapid City. No one has anything, and no body has a clue as to where to find it.

:cool: So I'm turning to you guys once again for help. I want to make some motor clips, now where in the world can I find the metal?

Crashin J

I think you need to talk to our own flying_silverad. I believe he makes them out of old windshield wiper blades. I'm also pretty sure that he sells them pre-made on his website. Check out the vendor forum for his link.

Why as a matter of fact! I just opened a pack of flying_silverado's
engine clips.

They just came in the mail.

I couldn't make 'em for the price he charges.

Try his parachutes too!

sandman

Windshield wiper blades have a stainless steel strip running down each side. They come apart easily and can be bent after heating with a torch. I heat them red hot, let them cool for half a minute, reheat them, bend them, and temper the hot metal in cold water. I bend the cut end first, measure and make the second bend, then cut the desired length with a chisel.

:) Well, I knew you guys would not let me down. ;) In hardly anytime I had the answer to the problem that I wasted half the afternoon on! Looks like I need to make a trip to the junkyard in the next day or so.

You guys are great! Thanks for the help!

:D :D :D
Crashin J

Back