Aerotech motors leaking ejection charge

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lamart72

Reaction score
I received an order today and both packs of F20-4Ws and one pack of G35-4Ws had spilled their ejection powder into the packaging and the box they came in. The hobby shop I ordered from said I could send them back but I would have to pay for it!
The paper end caps have visible gaps and the F20 caps are not even stamped with the motor size and serial number! Has anyone else run across this?

I recently picked up some F21's, G35's, and G80's. One of the packs of G35's had one motor that had leaked out a small amount of EP. Probably from the adhesive just not being stuck down well during assembly. All the other motors I got are sealed up tight. The G35's are dated 1996. They have the sticker type labels(which I plan on removing before using). I put a few drops of CYA at the end cap, where it was loose. I feel confident that it will perform as expected.

Stones - you can certainly live like you wanna live... but if I were you, I'd be *very careful* about using CYA around black powder, which is what your "EP" (ejection powder) really is. CYA can get very hot when it flashes off in the curing process. I don't know for a fact that it could get hot enough to set the black powder off, but I just don't think it's worth the risk.

I would just use masking tape to repair any ejection charge holder problems.

But, like I said, live like you wanna live. :D

Originally posted by KenParker
Stones - you can certainly live like you wanna live... but if I were you, I'd be *very careful* about using CYA around black powder, ...
Sound thinking Ken. I never really thought about the curing process 'till ya mentioned it. It was just the one motor and all worked out well. I will keep it mind however, if or when there's a next time.;)

I have several F20's that leaked the powder - some cases the cap coming completely off in the package. I just replace the powder and use computer label material as a new cap (push it down with a 24mm motor, trim excess label away). I like using clear lable for this... it looks soo cool :D

Back