Down-Scaling!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crashinj

Reaction score
:confused: I'm 100% rotten at math but I'm wondering how do you scale something down? Say an Estes Fat Boy scaled down to Micro-Maxx size? I'd like to take alot of different Estes stuff and knock it down to size. LOL Fat Boy is one of them. Yep a Fat Boy Micro-Maxx!:)

Crashin J

Upscale VS. Downscale

Crashinj, no worries. The math is quite simpler than you can imagine.

UPSCALE:

Suppose you want to upscale the Fatboy from a 2.6" dia. to a 5" dia. To get your upscale factor, you would divide 5 by 2.6 giving you 1.923 as a result. (Why would I choose the airframes for comparison? They are just easier numbers to deal with.) What does this mean? From here on out, 1.923 is your "upscale" factor. Basically, you multiply 1.923 X __a__= 1.923a In this example, "a" would be any dimension you so choose to upscale. For instance, if the nosecone is 3" in height, you multiply 1.923 X 3 = 5.769. 5.769 is the new heighth for your 5" dia upscale Fatboy nosecone.

DOWNSCALE:

Downscaling is kind of the reverse of upscaling except instead of multiplying your dimensions to get an upscale, you divide everything to get your downscale. Example: Let's say you want to go from a 2.6" dia Fatboy down to a .541" mini-Fatboy. You would divide 2.6"/.541" = 4.806". The number 4.806" is now your divisor. For instance, if your original nosecone is 3" in length and you want to know the mini version length, take 3" and divide by 4.806 = .624" ... .624" is now your new mini-Fatboy nosecone length.

Hopefully this helps. I'm sorry if I've oversimplified the process, but to be quite honest with you, I was kind of baffled initially how upscaling and downscaling worked.

Worst come last, when you go to make the parts you'll realize how off something looks. This is when you know you've done some math wrong! :eek:

Best of luck. Now get to it and post some pictures!

CrashinJ:
Sorry to hear your are math challanged! one of the products of your failed public school system:( If you are still in school please apply yourself in this area you will need the skills your entire life.
Downscale or Upscale its pretty much the same process.
If memory serves the FAT BOY is a BT-80 or 2.6" dia. a micro-maxx minimum dia. is .281"od. if you divide .281" by 2.6" you will get a multiplier, in this case .1080769. You can now multiply any dimension from the original Fat Boy to obtain the Down scaled measurement. If the Fat Boy body tube is 12" long multiply by .1081 to get the micro-maxx length of 1.296" thats very close to 1-19/64" long. If you divide the original by the downscale tube size you will get the scale in this case 9.2526 or about 9-1/4 scale. Upscale or Downscale you can pick any two corresponding dimensions you like, I find it easiest to use the Main body tubes as the starting point.
Hope this helps

The easiest way is to take the numbers that you got using the formulas that eugene gave you and turn 'em into a percentage.

Really easy...like the Fat Boy. 2.6" to .281" gives you .108...move the decimal over two places to 10.8 and make it 10.8%. then reduce the plans on a copy machine. Patterns and all.

Same way upscale 2.6" to 5" is 1.92...move the decimal point over 2 place ya get 192%....blow it up on the copy machine.

For very complex models like a scale project it really saves a LOT of math. Just measure your drawing.

It's close enough MOST of the time...ya just can't do 10.8%...gotta go 11%.

Can't have everything!

sandman

Originally posted by Micromister
CrashinJ:
Sorry to hear your are math challanged! one of the products of your failed public school system:( If you are still in school please apply yourself in this area you will need the skills your entire life.

This really isn't too fair of a statement. Some people are just not as good as others in certain subjects no matter the greatest level of education attained. I'd wager the issue is just a matter of forgetfulness, not poor education. On the other hand, don't be quick to judge as judgement on your grammar could easily be passed.

Let's play nice and help each other out. ;)

10-4 on the statement math isn't for everyone and yes it is something you will use for a life time. The folks that were lucky enough to have the aptitude or just a strong interest in math really do good at it.
I on the other hand I realized my weakness ( I hate math ) so I solved it by marrying a math teacher. For some unexplained reason, she loved the stuff and always wanted to be a math teacher, can you imagine.:confused:
Like they say, it takes all kinds and I for one am glad!!;)
You might notice from time to time, I'm not very good at english either but I get by or buy or bye.
Randy:kill:

I have to use math almost everytime I go to work but that does not mean I'm good at it. I'm terrible, and really had to work my tail off to get my Electronics degree, I'm a Elect Tech.

Thanks guys for the help on the question I asked in my post.

Crashin J

Crashin....do what I do...no math...get a pics of it from Rocksim or another program and shrink it until it fits your bodytube...then cut all parts to the length of your pic!

No math...

Carl

BTW...I love math, I just try to find an easier way...

Spoken like a software developer! We know what we're doing, just want to find an easier way to do it... :p Fabulous!

Mark

I like Carl's method, the easiest. Like the great Thomas Edison said when asked 'how do you remember all this stuff' and he replied 'I don't, I just remember who to ask'. If it was good enough for ole Tom, it's good enough for me. Sure made me feel better also, since I ask a lot of questions.
I've always felt it's the person who doesn't ask questions that will lose out, of course I could be wrong, who cares, do you?????
They're coming to take me away, hahahahahahah.
Randy:p

Back