Cluster Buster

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket trike

Reaction score
Ok here we go again. Crashinj and Rocket trike got the cluster fever bad.

We are planing on building 2 rockets and drag race them. Each rocket will have a cluster of 1 24mm and 7 18mm motors. We will be using Estes Motors.

I will let Crashinj tell you about his.

But here is mine monster. It will be about 36in tall. The bottom half will be made from 1 18 in BT50 body tube for the 24mm motors surrounded by 7 18in Bt20 body tubes for the 18mm motors. These will go to the top half which will be a 15in BT80 body tube topped off with a nose cone like the one that comes in the Big Bertha kits. It will have 7 yes 7 fins that have a 7in root edge and a 4in trailing edge. There will be 1 between each BT20 body tube. I have put this together with tape and rubber bands to see how everything will fit together. Here is a picture of what I hope for it to look like.

So let me know if you think this will work or if you think that Crashinj and Rocket trike are out of our minds.

Tom

If you haven't sim'd this, just be *aware* of the CP/CG as those fins look a little small for an 8 motor cluster.

other than that...

WAY KEWL!:D :D

Very interesting Rocket Trike:
My I ask, how many other large motor clusters (more then 5 motors) have you guys flown? I'm with Jflis on the Sim's for the model shown, I think you might want to look at a clipped delta planform with about a 2.5" or 3" tip, That's a lot of CP your trying to move.

That should be cool. What motors you plan for? With 8 motors and 7 fins the butt end will be quite heavy so I know you will check the CP/CG and add nose weight as required :) Hope the Estes tubes hold up to all that weight.

I cjanged the name to the Cluster Monster. Crashinj Already use the cluster buster. I plan on using 1 D12 and 7 C6-0. I plan on using booster motors and plugging the ends of the 18mm motor mounts. This way It could fly on just 1 24mm motor and not use a cluster for all of the flights.

Tom

Latest posts

Back