Painting with a mask.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midpwrguy

Reaction score
I found what the call a mask used in painting. Small radio controled cars. But they sure make things real simple. on this rocket I did flames. and for 5:00 dollars it was not to bad of a price and sure saved on the masking tape to.
I've been useing auto paint. for my rockets the last few years. I put down a base coat of red then I came back later sanded down the whole rocket with 800grit. Then I applyed the mask after I wiped it down with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. and useing rubber gloves. To keep the oil from my hands getting on the rocket. this will cause what they call brids eyes from occuring. when I applyed the clear coat. Here is the link for the mask they have alot to pick from.https://www.xxxmain.com/paintmaskz-all.shtml :D Pictures of the completed rocket.https://photos.yahoo.com/rockets_r_us2

Midpwrguy,

Those fins look great. What degree setting do you use on your saw? What is the fin material you show in the fin beveling pics and where do you get it ?

Swimmer

I set the saw blade at about 5 0r 6 degrees. I had to make a new plate to cover the saw blade. Out of plastic. with the blade all the way down. Thats when you turn the saw on. Don't turn it on with the blade up. Cause it will flutter cuttin out the plastic. So you turn it on down,raise the blade. And make your cuts. Then lower it before you turn the saw off. With the fins you see there I used 1/8" aircraft plywwood you can get at most hobbie shops. the small fins were used on this red rocket.
:p

Interesting. I'm using this technique on my next set of fins. I just happen to have a spare set of 3/32" fins I hosed up for use on my scratch build. I'll practice with these and let you know how they come out. Thanks for the tip.

Swimmer

Did you make a cover for the table saw blade because the slot in the factory supplied metal one is too wide?

Swimmer

.please.....be very carefull...with small thin pieces between the guide and blade ..they can become projectiles

Latest posts

Back