Looking for plans of a multiple rocket launch controller

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mge55389

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm planning on building a new launch controller for our MASA club launches. I've done a couple web searches and the best launcher was a 32 pad launcher R&D project from NARAM 39 at:
https://web.syr.edu/smdemar/32padlcs.pdf

Does anyone have any other designs?

Thanks

Mike E.
NAR# 79922
Watkins, MN

I made a mistake in the link. There's that funny sideways squigle line between syr.edu/ and smdemar/32 that I can't seem to find on my keyboard.

Sorry!

Mike E.
NAR# 79922
Watkins, MN

Originally posted by mge55389
I made a mistake in the link. There's that funny sideways squigle line between syr.edu/ and smdemar/32 that I can't seem to find on my keyboard.

Sorry!

Mike E.
NAR# 79922
Watkins, MN

that squigle is the tilde or ~

It's located on the key just to the left of the "1" key

Mike:
Can you be a little more specific. Are you looking for a 2 or 3 pad system, a standard 6 pad rack or some type of satellite away pad system?
I have plans for all the above plus micro-maxx and solar powered and relay system, but none of it is in a digital format. Carl may have some stuff you can view quickly,
What is you power supply voltage and amp output.
Model rocket, LMR HPR or some combination of the three?
All stuff that will help in knowing what to tell you. Just to give you an idea of what your looking at, I recently completed a self contained 6 position 4" x 6" x 84" long 1/8" aluminum and stainless steel hinged door launch rack for our club, which cost 450.00. a simple 6 postition one rack 12v dc controller (no frills) ran about 110.00, the cost of the rack included 50' of 7 conductor 16 stranded copper cables with multi pin amphenol connectors, so all our launch equipment is interchangble with all 7 systems.
I've also seen some very nice PVC pipe mini racks that may be an option, it depends on your budget and expected use.

Hi everyone!
Well I guess I'm looking to build a controller for somewhere between 12 and 16 pads. At MASA launches we fly rockets from micromaxx to mid range H motors under our 125 gram notification limit. Occasionally we have a few cluster rockets; mostly 2 or three BP motors. Once in a while someone tries a small composite cluster ( don't you just hate copperheads?).

Thanks for the help so far!:D

Mike E.
NAR#79922
Watkins, MN

Mge55389:
Here the best I can do ya. this old hand drawn diagram is for my 17 pad satelllite system, it does a lot more than you are looking for, 10 /5 sec auto countdown a launch circiut and remote Saturn-V gantry controls, winch, crane rotation and swing arm contorls. but you can get a general idea, by substituting 12v paizo buzzers in the continuity ciircuit or use 12v neon lamps you can reduce the ma running thought the igniters during continuity check. also this system employs at pad relay add-on with continuity at the pads allowing the switching off of the continuity ciruit at the panel. Most of the redundant launch control circuits can be ignored or deleted. This panel employed a 24v stepping relay in the count down circuit with can also be deleted.
Hope this helps a little

micromister,

could you post a couple of those pix (from the composite) in a larger format? I think it would be interesting (at least to me) and helpful to see additional detail.

tanks

here's the Front panel layout The panel is 20ga 304 # 4 Satin finished stainless steel, all the copy and graphics are hand lettered on the stainless and laminated under a 1/8" Lexan cover. The panel is rain tight, but not waterproof. it has it own raincoat (not shown) :) Heavy duty battery cables connect to stainless machince screws, at the lower left side under a leather shield with wing nuts. these cable store under the raised internal components panel and are accessed from the rear. I don't have a pic of the Battery cable connections.

Rear View closed. showing the Radio shack 4pin mic panel connectors used for the 17 alternating 30 and 35 foot launch pad cables, and the amphenol that allows the systems pads 1 to 6, to be used as drag race two pad launcher. I have also added another connector to pad 17 (far right hand connector) to allow it to be used as an "easy access" drag race launcher. I haven't scanned the photos of the pads or at pad continutiy check panels or the 12v relay add-on that allow this system to have up to 6 relay pads operating at the same time with the remaining standard two clip pads. This relay component required an internal panel way of disabling the main panel continuity lamp and buzzer, transfering the continutiy check to each pad. Ticks off the RSO if the modeler forgets to move the switch to the Launch position but hey.. thats what makes competitions interesting:D

Inside Rear:
The cabinet is 1/2 MOD-2 plywood, with 1/4" ply interior parts bay standoffs and component spacers. The Plywood was chosen to give the panel some weight to support all the wires and cables trying to pull it off the table:) If I had the space I'd add another few pounds of weight as it still wants to slide if someone trips over a cable. Note the black spiral covered orange Battery cables storage under the component shelf. the silver tube in the center is a 3 section telescoping Warning strobe extension, raising the strobe an extra 3 feet. This feature is hardly ever used but is helpful during experimental and heads up flights
When this panel was originally constructed, in its first incarnation 1972, sequencing timers, for 12v systems didn't exist, and I didn't have the knowledge to consturct a electornic decending casade timer, that I would use today. The electro-mechanical sequencer was what I came up with. this involves a 24volt stepping ralay, a 12volt precission cam timing single point flasher, and remote reset contols for the stepping relay. I had had a blast with this feature, I've used it extensively to start a countdown then run back to a camera pod to get the pics.:)

Hinged Panel Access:
Easy access for repair or replacement of components and rear panel wiring. 17 point Heavy duty rotary switch and all other components are rated a 10amps or better throughout. the Safety disconnect (not visible under the face panel) is mounted in the cabinet lower face filler at center, if pulled it cuts all power to the panel regardless of mode, it will stop an auto sequence a t-1 if necessary.
If you attended NARAM-35, in middletown, Maryland. this is the sytem used for the competition range. 17 pads no waiting HA, unless you needed trackers:D It is also the range used by Narhams at all ECRMS since I joined the club in the late 80's.
If you are interested I'll take, or scan a few pic of the freestanding pad hardware, alti-asmith rod heads, 16gage stainless blast deflectors, at pad continuity check boxes and the Relay add-ons. the 30 and 35 foot pad cables are 16ga white lamp cord, the same system at any pad postion can be extended up to 100 feet with the addition of a single use H/D relay add on for the HPR away pad(s).

yep, that's what I was looking for *S*

very impressive, and nice/neat layout of the internal wireing. I know, to some, it may look like a rats nest, but i've seen *real* "rats-nest wireing", and this ain't it :D

I feel that it is also encouraging for others to see what goes into a sophisticated system and, while daunting, is very do-able.

thanx :)

very impressive - I should have paid more attention in electronics class!

Thanks Micromister! That was really coolthat you posted all of those nice pics of your controller and the diagram!:D Thanks!
When I eventually finish my controller, I'll post it as well.
Thanks again!

Mike:
I found a pic of a couple other parts of a satellite system you may want to consider while deciding on what type system to build. My system incorporates 17 alternating 30 and 35' cable leads leading out in a semi-circular fan to 3/4" x 30" long pad support stakes that have 1/4-20 x 1" long stubs and wing nuts that accept the Alt-Azmith Head attachments in the pic below and the "At Pad" continuity check and micro-clip lead boxes. this head assemble holds either a 1/8" and 3/16" x 36" stainless steel launch rod and a wooden or stainless 3/16" teather with cloths pins to hold the clip leads. I thought I had a pic of the whole pad assembled but have yet to turn it up, I'll post it when found, I hope these poor photos help the visualization.

Mike:
You are in luck, while I'm sitting here snowbound in DC after 16.2 inches dumped over the weekend. I had a chance to rummage through some old photos and found an older shot of one of the complete freestanding Pads, and a pic of a scale model of the competition satellite range layout, at this size I'm not sure how much detail you'll be able to see in the model but I hope you can see the general layout.

Thanks again for the help!:D
Your pad looks kind of similar to the NARAM pads. COOL!
:D

Well I've been keeping the UPS guy busy with part shipments here lately.:D
I've come up with my launcher design. It's going to have two- 12 position selector switches making two banks of 12 rockets for a total of 24! The selector switches will increase range safety by preventing 2 pads from being launched at once. Simple extension cord splitters could still allow a drag race. I'll have indicator lights for both " selected pad " and " continuity " . Alas some of these are on back order...
I found some great automotive relays on digitkey.com that have a 30 Amp rating and a 100 Amp surge rating!
I'll keep you guys and gals posted on my progress. I'll post pics and schematics when I'm finished.

Happy Skies!

Well I finally finished my new launcher just before I left for TARC. I'm gonna call her the double dozen. I just scanned some pics. I have to update my diagrams; then I'll post them too!
:D

Yikes! More than a few wires comin outa that box eh? ;)
Nice controller. Do you have continuity checking on all 24 pads?

Yes I have continuity check on all 24 pads. When a pad is selected with one of the selector switches, a red light turns on to indicate which pad is selected. If I have continuity; then the green light just below the red one turns on.

I added a 12 volt buzzer from Axman that sounds whenever the launch button is pressed. In the event that the " LAUNCH" relay contact ever welds, this little guy won't shut up. This added a problem to my design; because I got a back feed through my continuity circuit if an igniter wasn't present. YOW that's hard on the ears!:p

I corrected this by adding 4 -6 Amp diodes in parallel ( for higher current capacity) in series between the Launch relay contact/ buzzer and the pad relays contacts.

Back