Cutting Heavy Plastic

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbeckey

Reaction score
I scored a large red crayon bank with a cool mylar wrap at Toys-r-Us today for six bucks. The tube is 3.75 inside and 3.94 outside, and the tip and base are a heavyweight , rather soft red plastic. I will fill the coin slot with a fiberglass patch, sand, prime and paint the "nose", and I was thinking I'd cut slots in the base, which is a nice 3 inch long plastic "tail cone", and make to the (29mm) motor mount fins. The thing stands about 35.25 inches tall. The nose has a built in shoulder, as does the tail. I wonder what opinions there are about what I might use to cut good accurate slots in the base. This kind of plastic would be tough to cut with a knife, and I don't want to saw through the shoulder.

Another add-on idea to the dremel with cutter would be to use a dremel with cutting wheels...stacked thick enough to make the slot you need...works great. A hot knife is another solution.

Carl

Another option is not to cut the base unit at all, I just this morning loaded pic of my 5D cluster Crayon in the clustering the classics thread. the fins are .063 clear lexan and are epoxy rivited to the polypropylene crayon base, than a 1/4 epoxy fillets, Many flights no damage, No slotting, No misalignments due to poor slot cutting.
If you must cut the slots, ctuanko has the right idea with the multi cutoff discs, works really well, a little better control of the tool.

Back