Have you seen my Mosquito?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vance in AK

Reaction score
Me niether!
It looks just like the insert on the bag.
I put it on the pad with a 1/2A3-4T, pushed the button, heard a noise, & eventually saw a puff of smoke in the sky, but I never saw the ship from the time I pushed the button!
Painstaking filets, fill & sand until no wrap lines left in the body tube. My wife couldn't understand why I would go to all the trouble when I told her it was probably a one launch ship.
Oh well, time to build something else.
My other two RTF ships that came with the starter kit the family got me for Christmas flew great, with the exception of the same problems as last time. Fried shock cords. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or it is just design problems. I assume it's me. Don't remember the problem being this bad 30 yrs ago(maybe I have a hard time rembering anything from that far back!). Two flights seems to be max for a cord before burn through. Six pieces of crumpled wadding, all inserted individually, all below the shock cord anchor.
Gonna have to get that kevlar comming, & pick up some cellulose.
Sure was nice just to fly again though. Forgot how much I enjoy it.
Vance in AK.

Vance,
I replaced the shock cord that came with my sons' ready to fly and almost ready to fly rockets with kevlar. There is no other way to keep them from burning through.

In the past I too burned thru many an estes shock cord ..I also add a short length of kevlar line to the anchor point ... the small investment in kevlar has saved me alot of money and repair in the long run

now that that EZI clip is what one might call ...money to burn...heh

I actually set a club record last year by actully Finding not only
1, but actually finding 2 mosquitoes on the same day!!!
We usually refer to a mosquito launch as a sacrifice to the
rocket gods! For more fun, try an A10 !!!! Dr Don

Haha, that reminds me of last year's Plaster Blaster. Did you see the mosquito fountain in this month's Extreme Rocketry? We definitely found more than two :)

One of the activities of Scout troop 341 was an annual model rocket launch on Bolling AFB, across the river from National Airport, in washington DC. Boy I'd love to try getting clearence for this event now:D
It seems the scouts all love those darn mosquitos! I'd plead with them to buy something larger. Ho No Sir we can get 3 or 4 mosquitos for the same price as one larger rocket. Since thrifty is the 9th point of the scout law..I was overruled:-(
At one of the last launches held in 1997, 21 scouts flew a total a 105 mosquitos on motors 1/2A to A10's. The VAST majority of these models were painted in various shades of military camoouflage, desert to rain forest patterns, and two mind you only two in fluorescent Red/Orange. Of the 105 lot, 16 were recovered..neither were the red/orange paint schemes, and the scouts had great time. I'm sure the Soccer players, on whos field we were launching,weren't to pleased with us during the next few games...Take only pictures, Leave only foot prints and a mosquito or two.;)

Back