Some launcher questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chilly

Reaction score
I've been to a couple of club launches to fly my E-G powered birds and am ready to invest in my own gear. So I'm wondering...

Anyone have experience with the Estes "E" pad? Looks like a Porta Pad but with a much bigger deflector and 1/4" rod. I'm wondering if it could handle up to a G motor as it looks sturdier than Aerotech's Mantis. The legs apparently lay flat on the ground so I imagine it would be plenty stable. It's about $25.

How about 12v controllers? I'm considering a Pratt Hobbies Go-Box, Western Space Technology's Hot Wire, or Aerotech Interlock (got a good price offered)...each one for $25.

Thanks ya'll!

I have a home made pad (2x4's, a drill chuck, and a blast deflector made of ceramic tile and plywood) that I mainly use for my Black Sky Rail. I also have a Pratt GO Box. It like the unit and its real convenient if your launch battery is attached to your vehicle :) I have been thinking of getting one of Doug's power bricks, but I really don't fly much other than at club launches. You could easily make an adapter for any 12v battery though.

I think you could make your own launch pad much cheaper than buying one. If you search the forum, you'll find a thread post from Carl Tulanko with a MS Word document attachment that has plans for a launch pad made from PVC pipe. I've made more than one and their cheap, sturdy, and quick to make with off-the-shelf components.

Originally posted by MarkABrown
I think you could make your own launch pad much cheaper than buying one. ...If you search the forum, you'll find a thread post from Carl Tulanko with a MS Word document attachment that has plans for a launch pad made from PVC pipe. I've made more than one and their cheap, sturdy, and quick to make with off-the-shelf components.
Here's a PVC multi-pad I built. Very inexpensive.

Multi-Pad

Well, I went back and searched and I couldn't find it. So, I'll post it here. The document is rather large so you may want to download it by right-clicking and choosing "Save Target As" to your own PC.

Carl's Launch Pad Plans

Thanks again to all of you for your input. But I'm still wondering if anyone's seen or had experience with the Estes "E" launch pad.

It looks as though it could handle my largest kit (HV Arcas on a G40). The blast deflector is 9" (I think) and has a 1/4" x 48" rod. Since the legs sit flat on the ground it seems stable enough.

For $25 it looks like a good deal - I'd pay that much for a rod and stainless steel deflector if I built one out of PVC...unless you guys can direct me somewhere cheaper!

UPDATE: I ordered a Hotwire 12V controller from Western Space Technology yesterday. Will let you all know how it works.

Back