UK Law

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

Reaction score
I'm sure many of you are aware of the tighter laws in the UK on buying LPR rocket motors.

I'm a little cunfused about just how old you have to be in order to buy motors in the UK, on the back of packs of motors I beleive it says you must be 18 to buy a pack although I don't have one to hand to check, but on a few websites I have seen that it is 16. Could someone please tell me whether I have to wait till I'm 16 or 18 before I can stop dragging my parents down to the model shop to buy them with me.

Thanks

On the back of a pack of Estes motors:

UK only - "May not be sold to a person under 18 years of age."

At all Wal-Mart stores an alarm goes off whenever the check-out girl scans a pack of rocket motors.

But....they never ask ME my age!

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
At all Wal-Mart stores an alarm goes off whenever the check-out girl scans a pack of rocket motors.

sandman
You're kidding right? I don't see any smileys so I'm assuming you're being serious. :)

He's serious. Last time I bought motors there, the register beeped rather loudly when the checkout girl ran 'em across the scanner.

That's never happened to me here. But then again they let 13 year olds go buy rounds for their deer hunting so why not let them buy rocket motors.

Redneck laws apply here. :)

They up to recently, had D motors at Wally World and they were marked the same as all the rest of 'em, $4.99.
Kermie, we need to corner the person responsible for ordering there when they open the new mega Wally World and talk 'em into getting the D's and E's. You know we won't find 'em cheaper.
;)

I've bought motors at Wally World several times, but no alarm went off.

It's not a really loud alarm...more of an allert to the cashier. I they see that you look over a certain age they just ignore it.

It does ONLY go off when thew engines go through. But not the Micro Maxx motors!

sandman

Originally posted by Stones
They up to recently, had D motors at Wally World and they were marked the same as all the rest of 'em, $4.99.
Kermie, we need to corner the person responsible for ordering there when they open the new mega Wally World and talk 'em into getting the D's and E's. You know we won't find 'em cheaper.
;)

The D's they sell at WalMart for $4.99 are only a 2-pack. Typically, they will only sell supplies for products they currently carry or used to carry. The only reason WalMart sells D's is because of the Estes "The Dude" rocket. For instance, the MMX motors are leftovers in most cases. So get them while you can. I bet D's are going to be the same story once they quit reordering or restocking "The Dude". I make a habit of walking past the toy section everytime I go to WM just to see if the Estes stuff continues to sell.

As for the age, the thing beeps whenever I try to buy spray paint, model glue, or any other type product that some idiot teenager has tried to sniff, blow up, or abuse in some way never intended.

Back