estes max traxx

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raw9jr

Reaction score
Has anyone seen /launched an estes max trax? Is it accurate.

It seems like an inexpensive way to try an altimiter type device.

Thanks,

Bob

I have heard that all the maxtrax is is a timer and impact sensor. There is a little switch/butto on the side that is held down on the side of the body tube, and at ejection, it releases the button and the timer starts counting. At impact, it tallys the number of seconds and gives you a readout. The trick is to fly it on a very short grass/no grass field so it wil detect impact.

correct.

The Max Traxx is not an altimeter. Just a timer that starts upon ejection and stops on impact with the ground. The assumption is that it falls at a pre-determined rate of decent and you can calculate the altitude from the time given by the device.

i have no information about its accuracy...

From what I've seen, the MaxTrax doesn't work very well. You can read reviews of it here.

it works ok, but i have no altimeter to check it to. everyonce in awhile it doesnt give a reading.

<altimeter donations graciously accepted> :D

Scott McNeely

that is very normal. remember, make sure to fly it at the desert, or on a low/no grass field. Sometimes though, it just doesn't arm itself right. I would say, just as a guess, replace the small battery after every three or so flights.

I,ve only flown my Maxxtrax once. It seemed to work fine. Of coarse the frozen soccer field might of helped.:D
Mike Erpelding

Back