Merc Redstone...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stones

Reaction score
Doin up my Merc Redstone with a 24 mm MMT(I'll get some pics up of changeover) and would like an opinion or two.
Think the stock 1/8 rod LL's will suffice or would it be wise to set it up for a 3/16 rod?
Personally, I like the longer(4ft) 3/16 over the 1/8(3ft) rod.
Planning on D/E motors.

tia...

Launch lig sze is more deturmined by the rockets size and wt, not so much by the motor size.

But, bigger is better. Like chicken soup..."it can't hurt."

sandman

just my 2cents...

the problem with 1/8" rods with small (I don't know the size of this model) models with 24mm motor mounts is rod whip.

If you launch with a very high impulse motor, the sudden, fast motion of the rocket off of the pad can cause a 1/8" rod to whip around as the model begins to move. The visual result looks a lot like weather cocking even on a calm day.

If you are going to use moderate initial thrust motors, this isn't a problem.

just thought i'd mention it *S*

The promised pic of the 24mm MMT i did for the Redstone. Pretty basic, will take C11's, D's, and E's.
Shockcord will attach where you see arrow.

How much extra stability does the rocket have?
I would think that the extra MMT & engine weight might require extra nose weight.

I'm adding some mods to mine, but nothing that sould change the weight much:
: Replacing the shock cord with MMT-attached kevlar
: modifying the coupler into a Centuri-style baffle

3/16" if you must use a Rod.... otherwise, I would start trending toward Rail. BlackSky rail and Matt's Buttons.

Food for thought.

Regards,
Nick

Originally posted by mmkteaneck
How much extra stability does the rocket have?
I would think that the extra MMT & engine weight might require extra nose weight.

Doesn't appear that any extra nose weight should be needed. See pic.

mr.gif

Go with the 3/16 straw lugs- those plastic lugs on that thing are ugly.

...tell me that engine spacer is not cemented in. That's dying for an E9. (I love those motors too)

Hmmm...looks like I have to get one of these...gonna have to stop at the hobby shop tomorrow...or maybe just call Ross.

Decisions, decisions... :)

Carl

Originally posted by aerospike
Go with the 3/16 straw lugs- those plastic lugs on that thing are ugly.

I used the base of the stock plastic lugs but, cut off the 1/8 "collars" and replaced them 3/16 straw lugs. See pic.

Originally posted by KermieD
...tell me that engine spacer is not cemented in. That's dying for an E9. (I love those motors too)
Of course not Kerm, I just used it to show stabilty with a D12. ;)
I built this one specifically for the E9. You've seen the Phoenix on an E. The MR is a little more than 1/2 the weight of that so, should get up there with the long burn of the E.

Here's a pic of "almost done".

Dang!!!

Sweet looking man, GREAT job!!!!! :D

Sure am glad I ordered one from Ross yesterday, along with his last OT in stock.

Hope mine looks as good man...you did well!

Carl

Very sweet indeed!

Mine has about 10 flights on it (18mm) and it's holding up very well.

That is one durable model.

sandman

How did you punch out the plastic MM rings to fit 24mm? Did you use a drill press? How did you get the correct diameter hole?:confused:

It was all done with mirrors and magic ...yea...right! ;)

Actually, I did it with a dremmel. I centered a 24mm tube on each ring, marked it, and then cut out (cautiously) the marked area. You need to take your time and fit as ya go.

And that D12 was a perfect first flight motor for that bird. Went to a decent altitude and came back beautifully. I can't wait to see you send it on an E9!

Hey stones -great job on the MR - looks really nice - hope she flies as great as she looks - keep us posted on how she flies

She did fly as good as she looks. With the exception of a slight burn in the chute, it was one of the purdiest flights I've ever seen. Never did get to test the strength of those fins though, as he caught it on the way down. :)

ya know, this is one of them that I really don't understand...

...but the Merc Redstone has always held a special place in my heart. As rockets go, she is just CLASSIC in her lines, details and coloring. I've never failed to get that **feeling** (you guys know what i mean) when I see one on the pad or in the air.

Just a beautiful creation, in any size

The Merc was always a favorite of mine too... I even made one with a D motor... but got crushed before I could fly it. I did fly my D12 Jupitor C though... great motor for that rocket.... I am thinking about getting that Merc too... I wonder how well it would go with a F24?

Hey Stones,
This may be a stupid question, but did you make this conversion from a brand new kit or did you actually convert a built Redstone. I would assume you did this to an unassembled kit. But you know what happens when you ASSUME.
:D

Back