Paint/Primer Compatability Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer

Reaction score
My Deuce is ready to paint. I used Krylon white sandable primer and have been looking for paint. I like the idea of Duplicolor Mirage, however, it is lacquer. I've read lacquer should never go over enamal paint (bad, very bad) but what about laquer over Krylon sandable white primer?

Swimmer

Rut roh raggie. If you wanted to do the Dupli color stuff you should have primed it with their black primer. I only use Rustoleum Bare Metal primer. So, sorry I can't talk to Krylon...

Well, Phil, I haven't painted the Deuce yet and the thought to use Duplicolor Mirage was that, just a thought. Believe me, I will not trash a great primer job by being uninformed about paint compatability. If there is even the slightest chance of poor results I will not risk it. If I decide to use Duplicolor on my next project I will be sure to use their recommended primer :D

Swimmer

I used to mix the Rustoleum with Krylon. Man what a mess. Carl T. swears by the Krylon stuff. Testors (IMHO) goes with anything as long as you "mist" the first 2 coats. It seems to dry fast enough to not do any damage.

The dupli color primer is cool. It is black primer that can actually be "shined" using a paper towel. On my Mega Nuk I didn't even use sandpaper on the primer/color/clear layers. I used papertowels which is probably equivalent to 1200 sandpaper.

Oh, and BTW, where the heck are the pics?!?!?!? :D

Ok..Ok..Ok....I'll post a pic after work. Krylon primer/paint has always been my choice and I have had great results. I have also used Ace hardware paint over Krylon primer with out any problem. By the way, the nozzle on the Ace rattle can is the best I've used. It gives a very nice fan spray. The Duplicolor Mirage system is a little pricey but cool.

How about gold metallic?

Swimmer

(PS. My next project is a Transglobal Interceptor by Sandman. I won't be using Mirage on this one. Bet sandman will be happy to hear that!!!)

Swimmer,

The Transglobal Int. has been shipped...I'm still waiting for decals.

The decals will ship later...sorry!

sandman

Thanks, sandman.... not getting the decals now won't be any problem. Probably be awhile before I need them anyway.

Swimmer

I've read lacquer should never go over enamal paint (bad, very bad)

This is on our Tools and Calculator Page:

compatibility_chart.gif

- Nick

I used Krylon primer on my Upscale Big Brute prior to using the Duplicor Mirage (including the black primer, of course). When in doubt, it is always best to test the compatibility on some scrap material. This will always yield the right answer.

Another point. Some things will be (appear?) compatible if you let them dry for serveral days, whereas they might not be within hours. I bring this up specifically because I'm not sure how long the UBB sat with primer prior to getting the Mirage. I also assume I tested it but can't remember 100%. I'd hate to lead you astray. Best to test it.

Krylon primer is a lacquer, so you should be fine. There's no such thing as a sandable enamel (try it..it's icky). MAKE SURE you give the primer some time to release the gasses, though. I started with a Plasti-Kote auto lacquer a half day after priming and it bubbled like crazy. I freaked. When I went back a day later and sanded off the bad layer and restarted, it was fine.

I spoke to a painter friend today and he also said Krylon primer is lacquer based. The primer has been on for over a week.

I went to WalMart tonight to get some last minute Thanksgiving day items and checked out the Duplicolor Mirage. They have a good selection of colors. The kit is $17.98.

Well, my friends, you all have a happy Thanksgiving!!!

Swimmer

Swimmer,

You are gonna love the effect of the Mirage paint too!

I did a scratch built rocket with it and my daughter laughed that she had a prom dress just like it!

The purple does some pretty wild color changes in the sun!

Sorry but my digital camera does not do the color justice.

sandman

P.S. The duece looks great!

Back