launches in cold weather

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than making numb fingers work with ignitors, I can't think of many. :D

Make sure you check your friction fits on all areas that need it (nose cone and/or motor retention if you're not using a motor clip).

I always added a liberal dusting of baby powder to any plastic 'chute. Especially so in colder weather.

Also, no white rockets if there is snow in the ground :D .

Weekends

problems? yeah, you get cold

seriously, you can lose a little oomph in your launch battery (or you can carry it under your coat to keep it a little warmer)

under really severe cold you might damage a motor due to exposure (different thermal expansion/contraction rates for the BP grain than the case, possible delamination, consequent SEVERE increase in available burn surface area, CATO) but I never had that happen

worst problems I ever had was when rockets sank into the snow (when soft) or (when hard) the parachutes stayed inflated after landing and the whole thing skated across the top layer of crust and blew across to the next neighborhood

Just to elaborate on what Weekends said, in the cold plastic doesn't unfurl too well and it wants to stay in the shape you put it in.

When prepping your rocket make sure you fully open your parachute when you dust it with powder, this way the parachute is more willing to open. When you fold it and put it into the rocket try not to hang around for too long before you launch as you chute will be getting cold.

Another way round it is to try using a different type of parachute, maylar for example, or put a streamer on as these are less likley to get stuck.

HTH

Back