micromaxx big bertha

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket trike

Reaction score
I'm Trying my frist micromaxx rocket. It will be a downsize big bertha. I'm using a BT5 body tube. My question is that how do you make or do you need a motor mount for the micro motors? Also is there any web sites that cover these things for the micromaxx.

Rocket,

They make body tube for MicroMaxx that is 1/4" diameter and can be used for motor mounts...I get all my supplies from ASP...but there are others out there too...I have had fast shipping though with ASP. Here is their URL:

https://www.asp-rocketry.com/

Good Luck,

Carl

trike,

JimZ built a tiny Bertha for MMX and used a 1/4" launch lug for the motor mount and just bent a striaght pin to work as a motor hook...worked great...

Went up about 150' too!

Lost it on the roof of an airplane hangar but the kid watching us fly went up on a ladder later that day and retrieved it.

The 10.5mm engine tube for the old Apogee micro motors works great for the main body.

sandman

I have a good idea for the launch lug and used it on a Nano Kit that didn't come with one:

nano_its02.jpg

It is a Tension Pin. I purchased the 3/32" x 1/2" version and it worked great!

After this, I was in a craft store and saw some little friendship beads (long, not round) and I figured those would work well too.

nano_its03.jpg

In addition, I have used a bent paperclip for a thrust hook and motor retention. I simple tape it onto the outside. It is sized just slight longer than a motor. Be sure not to let the hook stick out into the nozzle of the motor.

Food for thought.

Nick

The best size main body tubes for micromaxx...for me anyway... is the Apogee components 10.5mm motor tubes.

Totally tubular now has some BT-3 body tube too (a little smaller).
But you will have to make your own centering rings...not hard.

Apogee Components also makes an engine bulkhead ring for this tube that is the perfect size to center a 1/4" launch lug to use as an engine tube. You can then use a bent wire as a motor hook and it will be enclosed within the model.

Nose cones can be turned in a matter of seconds with a Dremel tool. Use 1/8" bamboo scewers available in the hors derv (sp) section of any grocery store. They are really tough and don't break off if you put too much pressure on the turning while sanding the shape.

Just glue 'em into all that scrap balsa you've been saving.

Launch lugs are either plastic or aluminum...the really tiny stuff...bring your launch rod to the hobby shop to check. Or just buy some piano wire while you are there.

I'm still looking for some clear body tube about 1/4" in dia. to make an Astron Constelation payload section.

sandman

Sandman,

I remember seeing something that would work just fine for clear bodytube...

Go to a hobby store, find the section with the steel rods and wire...usually near the brass tubing. I noticed my last visit, the 3' sections are comming in a long plastic tube, about 1/4" diameter with a blue rubber cap holding the rod/rods inside. There ya go...they will probably give it to ya, or you may need to buy a piece. Either way, 3 feet of clear should last quite a while!

Carl

Carl,

the clear tube from the metal rod dept of my local hoby shop worked great. I only needed an inch.

But what do I do with the 35" of clear tube I have left?

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
Carl,

the clear tube from the metal rod dept of my local hoby shop worked great. I only needed an inch.

But what do I do with the 35" of clear tube I have left?

sandman

OH COME ON NOW!!!

I KNOW yer not a rank amature!!!

That's like saying, gee what am I gonna do with these extra motors i have left in the package.... sheesh! LOL

FLEET, man, can you say "FLEET"?!!?

and then he could launch all 36 at once, kind of like they did at plasterblaster, and he could set a new MMxx record?

Back