Micromaxx

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maelstrom

Reaction score
Well, I just tried my first micromaxx rockets on Sunday in the court in front of my outlaws house. Nice.

I got the kit with Vector and Raw Fusion I think. I think I'll have to get some more :)

Maelstrom,

That is GREAT news man!!!

I love my MicroMaxx stuff and the kids and I have a blast with it. We burn up motors 40-50 at a session, with each launch getting better. I have since done alot of conversion to mine; I have a bunch of cool scratch built rockets that Quest doesn't sell and I use my HPR launcher exclusively now. The beauty of the stuff is you can go stock or scratch...which leaves it wide open to the imagination.

The two rockets you got are by far two of their best fliers. The standard 3 and 4FNC models fly well...the rest of the Quest line needs some work, but they are still fun! I like em so much I have a Raw Fusion and Vector on their stands on my desk at the office! I have a couple of the SR71's and even though they only hit 20-30' on a good day, it's cool to see em coast horizontally...pretty slick.

Enjoy em, they are a blast!

Carl

i'm just now getting started with MMX designs and can't wait to fly some (hopefully this weekend at CMASS)

Will post an update with pix soon!
jim

If you like the RTF MMX rockets you should LOVE the scratch-builts! You prolly have seen this in some of my previous posts, but here is the link (again) to the MicroMaxRockets Yahoo group.

I'm glad Micro Maxx has another victim.

this was my latest project all cut out and ready to build but it got interupted by the Nike Hercules project.

Just for comparison here are all the parts set out and waiting to be sanded for a fullsize (BT-20) Astron Gyroc)...are ya watching eugene?

And a MicroMaxx version.

The nose cones are pre-painted.

sandman

I have a question about scratch built micros...

The silo launcher system is pretty cool, but how do you launch the scratch built jobs??

Originally posted by sandman

Just for comparison here are all the parts set out and waiting to be sanded for a fullsize (BT-20) Astron Gyroc)...are ya watching eugene?

And a MicroMaxx version.

sandman

Of course! ;)

I compiled a few pictures into a collage to sum up my experiences with the Gyrocs. It has been a good run which will hopefully someday reincarnate. Thanks for sharing your versions. I'm sure they will look just wonderful.

(See attached picture.)

Originally posted by Maelstrom
I have a question about scratch built micros...

The silo launcher system is pretty cool, but how do you launch the scratch built jobs??

Most of my scratch MMX rockets adapt to the Quest launcher. However, I have launched several with a home made base made from a block of wood and drill chuck, using a standard 12v ignition system (a Pratt GO Box in my case). For this launcher, I disassemble the Quest igniters, removing the element. The tape and cardboard support the igniter just fine and you can hook alligator clips to the wire loops which normally mate with the contacts in the Quest box.

In the files section of the Yahoo group, there are detailed plans on how to convert the Quest box to use a 12v source. For our club launches, one member (mrcluster - whose plans I just mentioned) built an adapter which fits on our launch rack. I think those plans are there too.

FYI, the contacts in the stock launcher get crud on them and need to be cleaned. Also, the Energizer E^2 Titanium is by far the best battery as 9volts batteries go.

Maelstrom, I don't have photos...it's really simple and not that interesting. I just drilled a hole in a block of wood, found a bolt that would mate to an old drill chuck and bolted it on. The blast plate is a metal plate from an electrical junction box that I lust lay against the chuck. The examples on the Yahoo group are far nicer. I just pointed mine out to show you don't need anything fancy.

Carl is building a launcher on a wooded chair. It will have several rods/rails, etc. Now that might be worth recreating :)

Carl...you 'listening'?

Dick,

Yup, I am listening...in fact I was building it tonite...framework is done, doing the different systems now.

Yes, I will post pics when done.

Carl

Just for fun.

Since I work from home and was waiting between phone call on a big bid. (yes I won the bid)

I built this in my office...just fooling around with Peter Always book..looking for scale subjects.

A Nike Apache, this round was launched from the Keewanaw range in upper Michigan out over Lake Superior.

It needs more paint, details and some kinda lettering yet.

Enjoy.

sandman

Latest posts

Back