Increasing amp's

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klint

Reaction score
I have a 12 batter that will put between 10-14 amps into an ignitor. I am going for a cluster and this is just shy of what I need any ideas for gaining a few more amps? I have 2 7.2v NiCad's but I dont think you can mix thouse with lead acid bateries. I dont want to use a car batter for fear my controller can't handle it. I have a este controller I dont remeber tha name of it though. It's not the electron beam but the bigger one they made for mid power.

Now I can do that, but I am worried about the little LED's or somthing else inside of it blowing out or poping.

The LED's should have resistors... so it does not matter how thick the wires are... the difference between the guages is it allows the ignters to "DRAW" more power from the battery. Thats the funny thing about amps... electronics take what they need... igniters are shorts though... so they take what they can get... and the thicker the wire... the more it can get (up to a certain point where resistance overwelms the gain).

The Doug.

I opend up the controller and it looks like it is all 20ga wire running from the switches to key and the rest of it. Will this need to be upgraded to 18ga as well?

Kirt:
My other on-line name is mrcluster, I've been flying bp blusters for over 30 years now.
the rule of thumb is 2amps per igniter, the trick is to move the battery to the launcher, and the use of a relay between the battery and the igniters, using as heavy a wire as you can get away with.
My launcher is set up with a 40amp Power relay with a 12v. coil, this is available at any Electrical supply company, it will set you back about 20.00. between the battery and relay I use #8 stranded wire, on the load side of the relay I use 14gage stranded 1000vot 90degree fixture wire, which has about twice the number of strands as regular thhn stranded wire, so it can pass the current more freely, it's also much more flexable. The Length of the 4 positive and Negative clip lead wires are capped with a standard smooth jaw micor clip and the over all length of the clip leads are 18" or under. Your controller is now attached to the coil contact points. I've had almost perfect multi motor igintions using this system, further inspection of the two or three motors that haven't gone, indicated the igniter was the culperate.
There is a lot more to clusters than meet the eye,
Hope this helps
John

My launcher is set up with a 40amp Power relay with a 12v. coil,

What is this? How does it work? Is it like a transformer witch steps up volts and amps?

Klint:
No it isn't a transformer, it's like an electrically controlled double pole, double throw switch. the line/load contact points are rated 8,10,15 20 and 40 amps dependent on the band, size and intended use. The Relay I discribed in my earlier post is a Power Relay used mostly for machine motor drivers and such, because of the huge amp draw of these motors the contact points must be made very heavy, usually coated with silver. I also use good Old Radio Shack DPDT plug-in relay #275-218, rated at 10amps with the socket 275-220 for up to 5 motor cluster applications. Let me make it a little easier to see what I'm talking about, If you will visit the narhams.org club web site, in the library is a section call Tech-Tips, If you look to Tech-Tip 006 you will find a complete article, igniter lead wiring, and most important a complete discription of the relay ignition system, wiring diagram and parts list. I'm far to new to this forum to attempt to up-load the file here. Check it out, If you still have question, also look at the Tech-tip on my solar powered stand alone launcher, I'm pretty sure I included a wiring diagram for that system also. OBTW relays are not A way to ignite clustered motors it is the ONLY way to do it consistantly. 30 years and I can still count the none ignited motors on two hands:)
Keep em Flyin clustered.
John

Latest posts

Back