100k attempt - TRF new project!!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I am taking pics, my website is still down! :(

Anyway, I have finally finished the glassing. I still have some sanding to do on the middle section and the fins but other than that, glassing is done. I have also taken time to prime the upper and middle stage.

I decided to go with a rail launch instead of the tower. Reason stems from the motor retention. I got to thinkin' (I know, scary isn't it?) about friction fitting the motors in the Vb Extreme. I figured it would take additional time to friction fit, and still not be 100% secure. It would be faster if we had an aeropack type retainer. Just drop the motor in, screw it down tight, and launch. Much faster. Anyway, since that would mean that the tail section may be wider than the rest of the rocket, the tower may not hold the rocket securely enough. I will test this but I think it is true.

Oh and BTW, check out what I'm going to use as the retainer: https://www.giantleaprocketry.com/products_retention.asp The Threaded Slimline. I figure that would be easier than a snap ring.

More later... :)

I have finished the priming and have added the new pics:

https://www.cybergatetech.com/phpgraphy/index.php?dir=Rocketry/VBExtreme38

She is now ready for testing. I have some shock cord and a 1 grain Pro38 casing on the way. I rocksimmed and got the following Pro38 results:

Pro38 1 grain = 2736ft
Pro38 2 grain = 4924ft
Pro38 3 grain = 6355ft (I170)
Pro38 4 grain = 7072ft
Pro38 5 grain = 7593ft
Pro38 6 grain = 8190ft

It seems like the 3 grain is the more appropriate one to use. We should only need approx 16 flights. However, testing may prove otherwise. More later...

Beautiful job Phil!!! You have really done well and it looks great man!

Can't wait to try it, huh? ;)

Carl

Your rocket looks great. Solid ideas all the way around to speed-up your turnaround time. I was thinking about the 100K attempt on the drive home from Argonia this weekend and came to the conclusion that this would be one heck of an accomplishment. There are so many factors that affect success and just the requirement of having to make 15-20 flights in one day is daunting. Shoot, I'd be lucky to prep, fly and recover 5 or 6 different rockets in a day.

I'm not familiar with the VB Extreme. Would you mind putting something in the next photo for scale? Maybe a tape measure.

In awe, --Lance.
TRA 8569 L2
KLOUDBusters

Thanks... It is 45 Inches long and 25 oz. and I can't wait to launch her. I wil make more pictures with measurements and scale and such.

Well, not failure in the true sense of the word. I was able to launch the VB Extreme today on a Pro38 2 grain H153. First, the good news. What a flight. That thing left the rail like (in Allan Whitamore's words) a scalded dog. It was out of site in no time. If not for the eyes of Kelly Mercer, it would have all been a loss. But he saw it arch over and deploy with motor ejection. So far so good. Down, down, down, and I finally see it fall. Only one final step, patience, wait for it. At 700 feet the main deployed. Beautiful flight! She was recovered without a scratch on her. But man that was higher than the 1500 I thought. The altimeter actually beeped out 4855! Holy cow, I launched that minimum diameter rocket to almost a mile and recovered it. Amazing.

And to give you an idea on how hot it was coming off the pad. I have a Nikon D1. For those of you who don't know, it is a fairly fast digital camera. Approx 5 pics per second. So it is pretty fast. Here is a series pic:

Coming up to pressure: https://www.cybergatetech.com/images/rocketry/20030927/DSC_0200.JPG
and, gone: https://www.cybergatetech.com/images/rocketry/20030927/DSC_0201.JPG

It was very fast. I will have to sim it again to see if it broke mach.

Anyway, some bad news. On assembling the alt bay on this puppy, I determined that I have designed it incorrectly to the point of making this quest of 100K with this rocket impossible. No, Ken, I'm not giving up. I just have to find a different way to do it. I made some mistakes in building that I will need to fix. Oh well. Hopefully more later. Down but not out.

Like a scalded dog??? That's hilarious!!

Hey - as far as aiding in tracking and recovery, have you thought about putting a beeper on the drogue shock cord? That way you'll have something to track, and not a whole lot of extra weight, either. Just a thought. Good luck, and keep us posted!!!

Loopy

There isn't much room to put anything else but a small pen sized panic button would work great.

Back