Digital Camera for rockets pics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astronboy

Reaction score
Hey gang,
I am looking at purchasing a digital camera. I want to be able to take both launch photos as well as 'portrait' type rocket phots... closeups would be a plus.

Any suggestions?

First question... What do you want to do with the pictures?

If your only goal is to email them and post on websites, then low resolution is fine (1MP and even lower). You can get such cameras for well under $100 today.

If you wish to print your pictures, you need to go higher.

For 3X5 you need at LEAST 1MP
for 5X7 at least 2MP
for 8X10 at Least 2+MP (but may want to consider 3MP or 5MP at that size)

Figure such cameras will run about $150 per MP (sales and specials notwithstanding)

Your next issue is make. My recommendation is to look at the Olympus or Nikon line of cameras. I've not seen consumer digital cams that have better glass lenses than these two makers.

Lastly is support equipment.

Your camera will come with a very small memory card. Get another card, the largest available (64MB or 128MB, typically)

Batteries: Get rechargables. I recommend the MaHa NiMH 1800mAh. You can get a set of 4, with charger for about $35 then get a second set of batts. Don't waste your time/money on alkalie batts...

Printer: If you are going to print your pix and want them to look good, make sure you have a photo quality printer and that you use photo paper.

that's the short of it. if i think of anything else, i'll drop another 2 cents

:D

Do a search on "sandman" and check out the pics I took with my $30 digital camera.

Not the greatest photos in the world...but you can take 20 and just "save' the ones you want. Thake 20 more.

I use a cardboard disposable camera for launch shots.

Meijer, K-mart and Wal-Mart have these cheap digital cameras so look around for them.

Cheap is good!

sandman

P.S. This was taken with a cheap digital camers.

I find that my cheap digi camera is alright for static shots but not to good for launch shots. It's not so much the shutter speed but the low resolution (0.3) doesn't get that detail so much.

Having a flash is also quite important, mine goes quite funny if the sun is directly hitting any part of the object. When my camera was quite new and I didnt know the ins and outs of it I took it to Wimbledon (the tennis tournament) and unfortunatly the sun caught almost all of my photos. It also doesn't take the picture if there isn't enough light and light bulbs and give enough light which can often get on you nerves.

My tip would be to spend that little bit more and get a higher resolution and with flash.

Just a thought.

For most people a camera needs to fit their needs like a hand in a glove. Since no one else will know you as well as you know yourself you'd be better off looking over reviews and then determining whats right.

For the best reviews of digital cameras check out:

https://www.zdnet.com

They are a computer oriented site but they consider a digital camera as being one of the most important accessories you can buy for a computer. The site therefore has reviews going back about 2 years covering the most popular cameras on the market.

If you're looking to save money start by picking out a camera model that meets your needs and is one to two years old. Then search E-bay for that model. If you're patient you should eventually find what you're looking for at a really good price.

Ken Holloway

I would agree with the disposable camera idea. I took a bunch of shots of my rockets and a few of them turned out very nice. I have an online album with 8 of the pictures, selected for subject matter and not quality.
<a href="https://www.webphotos.com/list_photos.asp?mi=3&smi=1&a=83155">Bob's Rocket Pics</a>
The last pic was taken with the webcam, so it sucks, but the V-2 shots look nice.

I did the research recently on digcams and came up with the Canon Powershot A40. It's a great 2 megapixil cam. Even does 15-20 second movies. Camera was $299 at Best Buy and the 128 meg card was $69 with a free USB reader.

The response form jflis above covered all the points nicely. Even down to the batteries.

Here's a web page to look at:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/0204/02040501othersitesreviews.asp

It has links to other web sites or click reviews on the left for it's reviews. Also do a web serach on digital camera review and you'll get plenty of hits.

The post from kgholloway was right also. You have to look at your needs and your budget.

I ended up spending about $450 for cam, 128 meg card and batteries. I love my set-up and you will love whatever you decide to do also!!

Good luck !!!!

bmhiii

I've got a HP Photosmart 318 and it takes very good pics. I also got a 64 meg card for it so it can store many pics. This picture is of my rocketry construction table taken on low resolution. This camera cost $198.00 when I first got it but has started to come doen in cost. You might consider it. Got it at Wal-Mart.

Swimmer

You could always get the latest Sigma SD9 with the latest Foveon technology. It's just a mere $1799.99. :D

Here's a quick glance.

Back