Not a very good launch day

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerbs4me

Reaction score
I launched my first mid-powered launch Friday. That was the most awesome thing I seen. I launched my 3 scratch builts. They all ended gatting damaged.

I put E9 in my scratch built. It was the first scratch built I ever made. It flew a couple times before. So the takeoff was awesome, man did it go high. I would say at least 1500ft. But the parachute failed. It fell like a stone. It fell into a woody area. luckily the weeds were cleared out or I wouldn't of recovered it.
It was severly damaged. The fins caight on fire on the descent. It was repairable. So this morning a cut off the mangled part of the BT. The fire didn't damage the fins that bad, so I will leave them as is. So this afternoon I'm going to launch this puppy again. Hope everything goes well.

The other rocket I launched was a scratch built too. It was that 7 footer I made. It put a D12 in it, just to be safe. takeoff was good, but as soon as it got up in the air It curved to the right. the rocket was flying toward the ground. the parachute ejected 5ft. off the ground. It didn't do much help. It finally crashed into a bean field. The top part of the BT was severly damaged. lost the motor mount. I don't know what to do with this rocket.

My third launch was Chub, another scratch built. It the one with the camo nose. It just a short and chubby thing. Takeoff was good. It looked like a V-2 going up. The on;y damaged it recieved was a broken fin. So I got it fixed and I'm going to launch it today. I might put an E9 in it.

Even though the launches weren't very successful. I did manage to launch my first mid powered rocket.

Gerb,

I hope you had fun anyway.

Don't give up...keep building...learn from your mistakes...build stronger fins...make even better nose cones...go higher...MORE POWER!

Most of the other guys here, (yes, even Carl), were in the same situation as you a looooong time ago. But you have a distinct advantage...This forum...we are here to help.

One thing I personally learned...a damaged rocket can be repaired and made stronger...A lost rocket HAS to be replaced.

Keep flying!

sandman

Oh yeah I had alot of fun. It was so cool. I'm not going to give up. Like you said Sand. I will learn from my mistakes.

Gerbs,

Sorry to hear about your tough landings, but glad to hear ya got some bigger motors goin'. Been there and done that myself with the rough landings, failed deployment, and the whole 9 yards. Like Sand said, rebuild and replace!

If I didn't destroy or lose an occasional rocket, I'd have rent a self-store shed :D

Of course, I seldom have a rocket destroyed so badly that at least some of its parts don't find their way to a new rocket!

I've had similar experiences with a 3-stager I built.

Here it is

This is after it's maiden launch and flight.

Of course it was all my fault. It helps tremendously to tape the engines together properly when launching a 3-stager. :( :D

Back