OctoberScience Motor Making Kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMRR

Reaction score
Has anyone used the OctoberScience motor making kit? I'm thinking about purchasing it.

I wonder if I could "re-load" my Apogee 10.5mm motor casings with it?

Any thoughts or experience would be great.

Nick

Nick,
This sounds very interesting. Do you have a link you could post?

I was wondering about loading larger motors, but the idea of resurrecting some 10.5mm casings is interesting.

not to be a sour-puss...

...but this is just the sort of thing that makes this hobby harder for all of us.

Don't get me wrong, this is a very interesting item and could/should be enjoyed by all, but....

...I need to point out (as I have pointed out to the maunfacturers of this item) that it is NOT "model rocketry", even though the term "model rocket" appears throughout this product and their various ads...

It is misleading and can only server to hinder the efforts of the NAR and model rocketeers in many ways, not to mention someone having an accident in their basement, making motors and having it hit the airwaves with the national headline "boy killed in model rocketry mishap"....

i've seen it before, many times, where an activity is mistaken to be model rocketry and is isn't. Actually CALLING it a "Model Rocket Motor Factory in a box" doesn't help...

i dunno... maybe just a pet-peeve of mine... just had to drop my 2 cents... :)

Point well taken. I have no problem with EX rocketry, but this (and high power for that matter) should be kept distinct from model rocketry. I'd love to make my own propellant, but have decided that I don't have the proper facilities...my basement is not an option. I'm ialso interested in the October Sky kit, but would like to know more before I start packing propellant, especially dry propellant.

I wonder if I could "re-load" my Apogee 10.5mm motor casings with it?

Any thoughts or experience would be great.

Nick

Well there are many caveats to making your own motors, I'm sure others will chim in with some. But the first rule is NEVER reload an expended single use casing. The paper casing is designed for one use only, the inner layers of paper will be burned away and the casing weakened to the point where it probably won't survive a second use.If you must make your own (and I see no reason for it at the 1/4 A - G level)start with a fresh casing.And if you think this will save you money - you're wrong!

Dale Greene
SPAAR 503

Back