Amp Hours on Batteries

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMRR

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to jump into X10 Video rocketry and have a question on providing a 12V source for the receiver.

I have been told I can use a battery, but I need a sanity check:

If a battery is rated at 12VDC and 5AH (amp hours) and my device pulls 1 amp, then I should get 5 hours of usage correct?

Regards,
Nick

The short answer is sort of yes, but not really, because it depends. :D

The first question is whether or not you are talking about a rechargeable battery. And is it a a deepcycle wetcell? Gelcell? Sealed?

If you are using a disposable, 12v 5 amp hour battery, then more or less, yes, 1 amp draw = about 5 hours power.

If you are using a rechargeable deepcycle wet cell, the answer is more complicated. A deep cycle should never be discharged more than about 50%, so already you are at only 2.5 amp hours of usage. And if you actually want the battery to last at anything near its rated number of discharge cycles, you really shouldnt discharge it than about 1/3. The rule of thumb for sizing battery banks for boats is: 4 times the anticipated maximum usage between charges.

If you are talking about a thin-plate cell like a car (or more likely, motorcycle) battery, you really don't wnat to draw that battery down much at all. They are not designed as deep-cycles, since once you start the battery the alternator immediately starts charging. They are designed for very short term high-current loads, like for driving the starter for your engine.

I can't however give you much insight on nicad type batteries. I'm not sure about the draw issues on those.

I just now realize that you may not have cared about any of this, and you might have just been asking if your understanding of the definition of amp-hours was correct... in which case, the answer is a simple YES! One amp hour = one amp drawn for one hour. :D

-nathan

Thanks.

This is the one I just ordered:

CLICK HERE

$34.95, actually $48.97 after shipping and handling

It is a Sealed Lead Acid with a 110AC converter and 12VDC output.

- Nick

That's a nice looking little package with the inverter and everything in that nice carrying case. Cool!

-nathan

Back