Pro38 News - CATO explanation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenParker

Reaction score
Any of you seen any of the Pro38 one or two grain motors cato? I have. One of Carl's (the Harpoon? He has so many I can never remember.....) had a cato at the April Whitakers.

Pro38 has posted a note on their web site on what they have found that is causing the problem.

Go here:

https://www.pro38.com/newspage.html#020809

And as a point of reference. I have 4 1G's with a 4/23 date on them and they all have the wrong emataches. I also have one with a 5/30 date and it's wrong as well. The two 2G that I had also have the large ematch, but in an email from Anthony at CTI, he says, it's only the 1G's with the small nozzle that are the issue.

Alan - waiting for little ematches before I can launch the 1G's... But man, that 2G was AWESOME!!!! in a 2.5lb over built Loc forte!

Ken is right, my Harpoon Catoed on a Pro38, but it was a 4 grain and was due to a problem with the reloads themselves that were manufactured between July and December of 2001. Fortunately, Cesaroni gave me the entire scoop, way to go for them and I appreciated their honesty! In addition, I received a new casing and two reloads for my trouble, the second reload was to cover hazmat. Another plus for their customer service. Moreover, the damage to the Harpoon was minor as the motor casing traveled straight through the rocket, so it has since been repaired and flown again a number of times on more Pro38 4 grains.

I thought I had mentioned this before, but realized it was in a different private forum, so I will post it here. The Cesaroni Pro38 motors have an ignitor bead installed at the top of the motor grain, which is why it only requires an ematch to ignite. Some people I have heard place ignitors in their Aerotech motors half way up to try to get a more even burn. I don't know how effective this method is as I have not tried it and will stick to the mfgr's suggestion of running the ignitor up to the top. However, since the Pro38 motors require ignition of this ignitor bead, the ematch must be run to the top where the bead resides in order to light.

Also note, that since Pro38 uses an ignitor bead, only e-matches should be used to light the motor. A regular ignitor can cause an "overheat" condition in the motor, possible resulting in a cato. This is obviously proven with even the simplest ignitors, a larger ematch. It is undoubtedly overheating the smaller grain loads, resulting in a Cato. The larger grains tend to work fine with the larger ematches. So if you have to use another ignitor, stick with only ematches. Sure wish Ceseroni would start selling them on the side as I have had a few pop without ignition.

Just an FYI,

Carl

NEVER light an aerotech motor from the middle! all composite core burning motors that I know of are required to light at the top... They need to build up pressure before the AP starts to burn at the speed that the motor was designed for. If they are not lit from the top, you will most likely have a chuff, which will waste impulse, and make the motor underperform.

-Brian Barney

That was me who had the 2 grain CATO, Ken. Stygian Witch took a header. I'm still waiting for replacements. Strange thing though, the extra 2 grain that I have doesn't have a date stamped on the carton...

Oooooooof, that hurt! Man, if I look like Carl I'm going to shave my butt and start walking backwards. It would be an improvement. :D

Originally posted by PGerringer
I'm going to shave my butt and start walking backwards.

Excuse me while I go wash my eyes with acid. ;)

Originally posted by CTulanko

[...]

Moreover, the damage to the Harpoon was minor as the motor casing traveled straight through the rocket, so it has since been repaired and flown again a number of times on more Pro38 4 grains.

[...]
Carl

So Carl, how much altitude did your airframe-less launch get?

:D

Good question Lee...the Airframe got about 10 feet...the 2 1/2lb nosecone was pushed out by the exiting motor casing...it got around 35'...

Words could not describe it...so you can watch the movie :)

<a href="reviews/quarks/catoed.wmv">Harpoon Cato</a>

Carl

Originally posted by PGerringer
I'm going to shave my butt and start walking backwards.

Phil...it would be an improvement for ya bro!!! :kill:

except you breath would now stink really bad! (hehehe)

Dawg...can't believe you typed that...jeeez...for that, all I can say is yea, go ahead, use that undated reload :)

Can't help but notice that the last 2 posts were edited. Hmmm...

By the way, has anyone noticed Aadamson's title under his name in his posts? I got a kick out of that one! Pretty soon, they're going to be selling kits with Carl's Tripoli number on it and Carl's gonna get his own series of Coke commercials with the tag line "be like Carl".

Nahhh...never happen.

Jase, send me some of that acid when you're done. :eek:

Back