Estes Heatseeker

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying_silverad

Reaction score
ESTES HEATSEEKER Ok Milo, this is my first review so here goes...

Estes HeatSeeker.
Rocket is of the E2X type, which makes for a lot less time on the bench and more time on the field. Rocket is payload in type. Painting is not required so finishing just means peeling and sticking the stick on type decals on this red and white pseudo military style bird. Recovery is parachute 12"plastic type .

Assembly starts with the parts checklist. Yep all there as advertised. Plastic pieces high qual with very little need for finishing or trimming.
Engine mount-This is very well thought out as it incorporates three pieces glued together that surround the engine tube. Goes together real fast so buckle up! Even has mounts for the two piece launch lug through the body tube when mounted in place. Nice fit!

Fins-3 plastic fins mount through body slots into motor mount for good structural integrity. Didn't have to do much alignment here as they fit pretty well. These are mounted using plastic cement. Launch lugs are of the small 2 piece type and mount through body into mounter mount via plastic goo!(glue)

Shock cord mount- Although it looks pretty neat, the upper mount for the shock cord is a small hole through the body tube just below the nose cone insertion area which is covered by a small plastic fairing. The shock cord is then knotted and threaded through from the outside and attached to nose cone. NOTE!! If you don't want nose cone separation during recovery, knot the shock cord twice as much as ESTES recommends! I did not. More on that later. Shock cord is not wide enough ( I think we have heard this story before ehh!) so having said that...fix it !;)

The Nose-Nose Block and Nose Cone simply glue into the white upper payload section which I might point out has some flush but very noticeable spirals on it. Come on folks, this is supposed to be a none painting and fill area according the kit description! Well, all the parts fit well anyway. Nose cone could use a little sanding of the flashing and maybe a few shots of white paint to hide any sanding scratches.

Finish it!- Decals go on easy but the sheet itself was slightly mis-stamped so tops of letters and symbols sometimes had the bottoms or tops cut off a little. Make sure your hands are clean here. I left a few tell tale fingerprints on mine. 12" chute was attached via swivel. (Chute is pre assembled!)

Total Build time--02:00HRS
Build rating 4.5
Why--Shock Cord Material (Replace with heavier type)
Shock Cord Mount (Should be in engine mount area)

Flying-
B6-4 was engine of choice. Winds 5-8kts and steady. Stuffed four sheets of wadding, shock cord and chute down the tube and capped off with cone. Placed on pad, Checked the wind one more time, countdown and then I clamped it. Once off the rod the rocket seemed slightly unstable as it wiggled a little yet never arcing over. There were 2 slow rotations all the way up. Delay seems right on the money ejection occurred right at the top but surprise...shock cord and its two little knots pull through the mount like pudding through a tin horn! Slight hike retrieves nose cone whose chutes works perfect...maybe too perfect...long walk. Body tumbled back and smacked the earth. But...nothing broke. Please balance this before you fly to keep the wiggle to a min. C size engine should be very cool!

Flight rating-4.5

Summary. Nice looking rocket that can be built in short order and with very little mods can produce a lot of good clean flights.

I just did one of these myself, and the review is dead on. It's a fun little kit to build that, for an Estes bird is built like a tank. I had the EXACT same problem with the recovery system, and, just as in silverad's review, the main body hit with no damage whatsoever. I had to leave the launch early, but I've since heard that someone found the nose of it, so it will fly again. If I would offer any suggestions, it would be to, as always, swap out the elastic for a Kevlar shock cord.

I had to scrap mine because it went unstable a few times and finally power-pranged from about 10-15 feet up and 150 feet away from the pad. Wierd rocket (VERY wierd flight), but it was cool pulling it out of 3 inches of solid dirt.

If anyone wants, I upscaled the Heatseeker to just about every Mid and Highpower tube available. Here is the link, they are at the bottom and these are the Rocksim files. (*note*, some are rocksim 5, and some version 6). RockSim 5 and 6 are not compatible, while 6 can read 5, the other way won't work.

have at it.

Some upscaled Estes Kits for Mid and High power

Silver...nice review! I actually own TWO of the rockets and like them alot...they fly great all day on B6 motors and look good in the air. I do agree with painting the nosecone and upper pre-painted tube. Taking some time to fill and paint the tube and sanding and painting the nosecone makes is look even better. Also, as you said, this thing is pretty much indestructable as mine has had a seperation at the shock cord mount, but still came in safely. Once again, great review!

Keep em' Fly'in,

Carl

I have flown it a couple of times since review with newshock elastic cord which seems to be holding up fine. I did have a "binder" launch and was able to watch the entire flight while it sat on the launch pad! Recovery was where I left it! No damage except one hot motor area!

I had similar results with the Heatseeker. It was somewhat unstable in flight and I lost the nosecone on the second launch because of the shock cord issue. No damage to the body. The nosecone just floated away into the trees.

I just launched one with a B6-4. It launched then flew very unstable for about 50ft then nosed over and shot into the ground and stuck in nose first (It was soft ground) then the ejection charge went off. What mods need to be made to make it fly good?

I just launched one with a B6-4. It launched then flew very unstable for about 50ft then nosed over and shot into the ground and stuck in nose first (It was soft ground) then the ejection charge went off. What mods need to be made to make it fly good?

More nose weight or larger fins or both.
The directions should say where the center of pressure (Cp) is. Mark it. Then, loaded with motor as if ready to fly, find the center of gravity, which is where it will balance. That should be at least a full body tube diameter nearer the nosecone than the Cp. Add nose weight if needed.

OOOPS my bad I just realized I never added the supplied clay nose weight. Thanks :facepalm:

"Old threads never die ..." Will one of the first 7 posters please stand up ? :wink:

Gary, did you build yours "stock" ? How close is yours to the catalog estimated weight of 2.3oz ? Did you use all the supplied clay ? There are quite a few entries for this puppy on Rocket Reviews: https://www.rocketreviews.com/estes-agm-57x-heatseeker-5656.html

Steve, I don't recall Estes ever specifying the cp in their instructions.

[edit] Ha! Just missed your reply.

I never put any clay in the nose. I built it and sat it aside knowing I need to ad the clay in the nose and forgot about it. I had multiple projects going at the time. Yes its built stock

I had been building some of The Launch Pad rockets at the time and took a few minutes to build the heatseeker. I built my own design not even worried about the cp and its the best flying rocket I have. Straight up and with zero wind it comes down with in 10ft of the launch pan

Back