Painting Problems

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othersider

Reaction score
I'm done painting my rocket, but it looks bad (to say the least). My only excuse is that it's my first try ever at painting. In some places, I painted too thick and it started dripping, creating some ugly lines going down the body tube. Near the fins, I painted too much, causing bumps:(. Now I feel I shouldn't even have painted it in the first place. Does anybody know a way I could fix my blunders? I tried sanding off the paint, but it didn't work.

I don't know why you can't sand the bumps, I have done so many times. You have to wait for the paint to fully dry or it will tend to roll/bunch up. What paint you using?

I've screwed up my share of paint jobs over the MANY years that I've been building rockets....started out screwing up with model airplane dope.

Too much paint is the biggest error with paint followed by incompatability of different brands.

Do this. first off wait about three or four days. Put the rocket someplace where you will forget about it for a while.

After a GOOD length of time smell the rocket closely...if you can still smell fresh paint, leave it for another couple of days.

When it seems really cured, not just dry, begin by wet sanding with like a 220 grit wet/dry sandpaper. (the black stuff) Sand lightly...let the sandpaper do the work...don't try to grind the paint off. Sand light enough that you can feel the bumps as the sanpaper goes over them.

Use a paper cup with water in it and keep the sandpaper wet, rinsing it every few strokes. Keep paper towels handy and continually wipe the rocket off to check your progress.
If the paint balls up too much stop and let the rocket dry for a few more days....I know this is a pain but ya gotta do it to fix your oops. Also try too avoid sanding the GOOD parts, without extra paint, too much 'cause you'll make the cardboard "hairy" and you'll have to reseal those parts.

I know this is a tuff thing to fix but believe me we've all done it.

When ya get the big bumps off go to a finer grade of sandpaper like 320 grit and all the way to 600 grit if ya wanna get real fussy. Use your fingers to lightly FEEL the finish.

When you feel it is ready to repaint USE THE SAME KINDA PAINT!!!
If ya don't it'll bubble up and ya gotta start over...I've done it. I know!

Do light misty even coats about 1/2 hr appart...don't rush, that's how ya got in trouble the first time. Read the can if you have doubts.

Be patient...you can fix this...don't give up...I have confidence in you!

And report back on your progress.

Don't feel bad. Everybody here has done this.

good luck,

sandman

Sandman, good detailed post...I hope I can find it next time I have such problems :)

Originally posted by rstaff3
Sandman, good detailed post...I hope I can find it next time I have such problems :)

This is one of those "Print it out and put it in a binder" type posts! :D

Back