Ah, The Choices!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othersider

Reaction score
I'm hoping to make a new rocketry order. I'm getting an interlock controller, F20-4 engines, and 1 more mid-power rocket. I'm stuck on the Mustang, Forte, or Graduator. What I'm looking for is a rocket that will fly well on an F20-4 and won't go too high. Can anybody give me some suggestions on which rocket to get, and maybe some tips on building it?

:kill:

I'd almost recommend the LOC Forte, but the thrust-to-weigth ratio with an F20 is marginal. Try a LOC Graduator, or something else closer to 16 ounces [something from Rocket R&D, perhaps].

Saw a couple Mustangs go up on F20's yesterday. I don't know what you mean by "not very high", but it sure looked like those babies got up there on F20's! The AT motor matrix says 1700 feet, and I wouldn't be surprised if you said it goes higher than that.

I fly my Aerotech Strong Arm on F-20's. It's a good motor for that bird, with a nice boost to about 750 feet. I also think its a more 'interesting' looking rocket than most of the AT line.

I think your problem will be with the 4 second delay, which will be real short on the Mustang. The Graduator will be a bit heavier but 4 seconds still feels a bit on the short side. According to the LOC specs, the Graduator weighs about the same as my Lil' Nuke. I use the 7 second delay on the Nuke, and it needs all of it.

The Forte is heavier, and a 4 second delay is probably about right, but you will want to have a long launch rod as the acceleration off the pad will be slow.

As mentioned above I use F20-4's with the Strong Arm, which is about the same size and weight as the Forte. The club where I launch uses 6 foot launch rods, so I've got time for the rocket to come up to speed.

Within the Aerotech line, the Wart Hog is in this weight range, and the Initiator, while not the 'coolest' rocket out there, looks pretty good on an F20-4 in Rocksim.

One other note...I just got Rocksim files for the new 'Junior' sized Excel and Stealth from Binder Designs. The Stealth comes in at 16.6 ounces (according to the file) which is just right for the F20. The 4 second delay looks workable, and the Stealth is a very cool looking design.

I personally own the LOC Graduator. It has flown on everything from an Estes D12 to an AT G80. It has carried my 24mm camera payload many of times. I absolutely love it. Without a payload, it will easily hit 600-700ft on an E30 and disappear on a G40.

I have thought of picking up the Mustang many times, but the pricetag has kept me away. I guess I am a bit biased since I got my Graduator for $26.

(I attached a pic of it ready for flight with a camera on top.)

Good luck with whichever you go with.

eugenefl:

nice looking graduator!

a question: its hard to tell from that pic, but is your camera bay design similar to the ones Ray Dunakin uses? Do you have drawings/sketches/close up photos of the payload?

fwiw, I loved my graduator too. Until it became about 12 inches tall after a failed ejection on an E30.... :(

nathan

Originally posted by dasein668
eugenefl:

nice looking graduator!

a question: its hard to tell from that pic, but is your camera bay design similar to the ones Ray Dunakin uses? Do you have drawings/sketches/close up photos of the payload?

fwiw, I loved my graduator too. Until it became about 12 inches tall after a failed ejection on an E30.... :(

nathan

Good call. It is exactly Ray Dunakin's design. Even the internal working components are his design. I was in touch with him for quite a while until I finally got my camera rocket flying. It was interesting how it worked out. I happened to find him right at about the time that I wanted to build some sort of multiple exposure camera rocket. I love his method because you never actually modify the camera itself. Below is a link to his plans.

<a href="https://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=3009006&a=30069434&f=0">PLANS</a>

I rarely fly my 24mm Advantix payload anymore due to the costs. Each flight costs about $10 extra for film and processing. Instead, I fly my Intel Digital Movie Creator payload and get video and audio. From these flights, I can also extract screen shots. For the Whitakers meet this coming weekend, I will be flying both rockets.

Eugene,

I don't know if you have Hobby Lobby's around where you are, but if you'd like a Mustang at a more reasonable price watch their ads in the paper or online.

They run a half price sale on rockets about every 3 to 4 months. I've picked up two mustangs there for 28 bucks a piece, only my own opinion but I feel they're worth that price tag.

Jason

https://members.aol.com/rocketcollector/rockets.htm

Eugene,

I don't know if you have Hobby Lobby's around where you are, but if you'd like a Mustang at a more reasonable price watch their ads in the paper or online.

They run a half price sale on rockets about every 3 to 4 months. I've picked up two mustangs there for 28 bucks a piece, only my own opinion but I feel they're worth that price tag.

Jason

https://members.aol.com/rocketcollector/rockets.htm

Back