Launch rod size

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPONGE

Reaction score
What size rod/lug should I use for a rocket that is 36in tall and will weigh around 15 oz when I launch it on a cluster of 3 D-12s. It's the big grey primered rocket in the middle in the attached pic. I've been thinking 1/4in. And don't say 'rails'. I don't have time to get into to that. I'm trying to get this ready to fly by the 4th. What are some good materials to use for lugs besides drinking straws?:cool:

1/4" should work just fine.

Do you have any Aerotech reloads? The cardboard tubes that their ignitors come in work quite well.

Also, brass tubing from any hobby shop will work as well and for high power is usually preferred.

hehe...just kidding. I think 1/4" should be fine. That's what comes with the AT stuff that weighs in at about 15 oz.

BIC pens make snug 1/4" launch lugs. You might want to sand abit off of the inside of it, but I have used them with no problem on abunch of scratch built rockets. The thick firstfire ignitor tube that comes with 29 and 38 HPR aerotech loads is a loose fit on 1/4" rods, and the little crapperhead tubes are loose fits on 1/8" rods. People have used screw eyes with no problems for launch lugs also.

Good luck on your launch..... and what did you use for the nosecone? its a pretty cool shape.

-Brian Barney

Thanks for the compliment on the nose cone. It is made from a styrofoam cone from Walmart that I shaped with a wood rasp, covered with yellow glue and filled with spackle. Not too bad for my first try :cool: That's a great tip on the Bic pens. I have a bunch of those sitting on my desk! I think that's what I'll use.

Back