HPR easter egg paint job???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Barney

Reaction score
while working on prepping my Initiator to be re-painted easter egg style, I saw one of my older HPR rocket projects sitting at the back of the garage, and thought, you know what? that would be REALLY cool if it was made all psycadelic colored. It is a retro styled rocket 5" in diameter made from quaker oats tubes fiberglassed, an elliptical nosecone and boattail, and curvey swept fins. I made it for the hypertek 835cc motor.

I put the rocket to the side because I had abunch of other projects that I needed to get finished, and then forgot about it for a while. Sooo.... Do you guys have any idea how I would go about dipping a 5" diameter, 5 1/2' tall rocket easter egg style? There is no way I am going to be able to fit the whole thing into a garbage can while dipping, and I am not going to steal a dumpster to dip it in :)

I am thinking I could dip the top half, rotate, and dip the bottom half. But am afriad that I would get alot of those abrupt lines all over the rocket. another problem is the bouyancy, this is alot of volume, and it wont exactly like to be dipped into the water very far down.... If I put weights then it might pull itself apart when I lift it out of the water...

I think I am going to get a white parachute and tie dye it for this rocket too :)

It should look really cool when it comes out, and if it hides defects as well as you guys say, thats even better (quaker oats tubes tend not to be very smooth and I had to join about 6 of them together to make this rocket, so there are alot of ridges)

Now for the name........ letsee I want to play with the whole hippy psycadelic thing as well as the farting nature of hybrids...... what do you guys think? :cool:

-Brian Barney

You could call it the TDSFK - Tie Dyed Serendipity Fart Knocker.

Groovy and far-out, man!

Brian, I think Lee suggested a swimming pool...a late night raid into a apartment's pool? Brings back memories of the days when there were hippies.

Like man, it's Pool Time ...

:)

Seriously, though, if the rocket's height includes nose cone, then dip without the nose if you have one of those big cart type garbage cans. I think you'd have enough room.

If you dip straight in, then the band where the two dipped areas meet isn't too bad. Check out the "Return of the Easter Egg Rocket" (or whatever I named that post).

You could also mask a band, and then after dipping both ends, wrap a band of bright striping, maybe silver or gold.

Finally, maybe you could make some kind of temporary trough, line it with a cheap drop cloth, and dip the rocket horizontally? After doing a bunch of trenching to extend a sprinkler line, I'm thinking I missed an opportunity to use that trench!

:D

Back