Aerotech Mustang

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by MaverickLV
You should 'glass your mustang. Yes, that's right glass it! The tube, the NC, the fins, the joints, everything! Then use as much epoxy as possible to build it, maybe use 1/2" thick ply CR's that are much heavier than aerofiber CR's. Use expanding foam in the fin can. Use really heavy duty QL's and a lot of TN. In the end, you'll have a 3 lbs. monster Mustang that will fly on an H180 or I200 and not be lost to the gods. After all, people see the stang' but don't hold it so they don't know how much it weighs. Then when they ask whats in it and you say I200 you still get to see the :eek: in their faces but you won't lose the bird. :D

Heck, if your going to do that, why not just pop a 38mm motor mount in the mustang and a J570? :D Then You'l really get an :eek: from the RSO..... if you dont want to lose the rocket, you can machine a solid lead nosecone for it :p

-Brian Barney

After a suggestion from jase I am starting a new thread in the Scratch Built forum on my "Weight Lifter" rocket idea.

(Hint, Hint)

Dave

Originally posted by MaverickLV
After a suggestion from jase I am starting a new thread in the Scratch Built forum on my "Weight Lifter" rocket idea.

(Hint, Hint)

Dave

Looking forward to it! I'm in the planning stages of what will eventually be my L2 cert. bird now. I need to get as much weight in this thing as possible so I don't have to worry about dual deploy and electronics.

It would be nice to be able to make it so it can go on a less than big I motor.

At this point, I'm planning on using 1/2" plywood for the 3 CRs and the 4 very large fins. The sim has it currently around 14-16 lbs. and going to about 2400 on a J350.

Okay, the new thread in "Scratch Built" titled "Weight Lifter" is up. Would have had it for you guys last night but the website wasn't responding. Anyway, check it out, and please, post replys about it, lots of replys!:D

Dave

carl, i bought a mustang today from hobby lobby, and i love this kit, im not really a fan of the finlok system, the fins were in the loks all the way, but still crooked, they are straight now, had to hold them till the epoxy dried, but other than that its awesome! built it stock as im not gonna get to see ross in the next week or so.

and my CRs fit fine, but the damned fin loks were tighter than a 29mm motor in a 24 mount

ill be at VOA the 20, and maybe the 21st.

Scott M
NAR 79800 Level .75

Originally posted by CTulanko
Swimmer...it's an excellent kit!!! The CR's tend to fit tightly, so they may need some extra sanding. Also, check the fit of the fins in the "fin lok" system before you glue it all inside and make sure it fits properly. Finally...sand and prime the body tube BEFORE you install the fins...it's a whole lot easier to do when the fins are not in the way.

You should use Medium CyA....never use thin CyA...

It should be done in a couple hours at the most!

Enjoy man...a great choice...

Carl

Back