Paint Removal

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kat3595

Reaction score
I have a PML Ariel in need of a new paint job. What have you found to be the best or easiest way to remove the old paint from the quantum tubing. Do I just need to sand or is there another way that would be better? Thanks for any suggestions.

Ray Crane

Kat,

The fastest way I have found to strip Quantum Tube is to use Acetone. I know what you are going to say...it will damage the tube! You are right about that, but I have several coats of primer on my rocket and the paint strips like a dream to reveal the primer. Use paper towels so you can get a fresh towel if needed and it will strip fast! Once you are down to the primer...wipe it down with Denatured Alcohol...it will clean the "stickyness" that may be left on the primer from the Acetone. Also, when you get to the end of the tube, switch to Denatured Alcohol...in case some runs down the tube while stripping the end, it wont be damaged.

I have done this successfuly with two different rockets using Quantum tubing and have never damaged a tube.

Good luck bro!

Carl

Wet-Sanding would be the safest method.
Keep in mind that a paint stripper would probably attack the quantum tubing, as might any of the other solvents that are available.

Back