Return of the Easter Egg Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Reep

Reaction score
Version 2002:

Old rocket with awful paint job, completely wetsanded and painted gloss white. Now what?

Lots of little partial cans of Testors metallic in the box of rattle cans.

Goal: Use them up on one rocket.

Top of rocket is candy grape and metaalic blue. Bottom was dunked in green metalflake, then redipped at angle in the blue again. Nose cone is just candy grape.

I'm a complete idiot today -- and I was hoping I could delete the post before you caught me again!

:eek:

Hey, I'm a complete idiot most days, so don't feel alone...but here's still no pic ?????

I couldn't find the edited pic -- it got "mysteriously" stuck into "some other folder" ...

Here goes, again:

Well worth the wait :)

One of these days I'll give this a try...

I love this paint job. I'm going to have to give this Easter Egg thing a try.

Man...you guys and this Tie-Die look have it down to an Art!!!

Well Done!!! You all need to have an Easter launch with the fleet of rockets I have seen painted like this..... I am amazed!

Carl

Originally posted by MarkABrown
I love this paint job. I'm going to have to give this Easter Egg thing a try.

Mark, do it -- it's pretty fun. And, you do not have to do a really great job of finishing the rocket, since the colors tend to mask flaws.

One thing I do recommend is to use similar brands of paint. I tend to always have little amounts of the Testors spray. The cans are small to begin with, and usually I don't have enough for another rocket. Since the paint seems to dry extremely fast once it hits the rocket's surface, it may not really matter if you mix brands, especially if you do one color at a time. I tend to spray a few colors together, which makes interesting swirls of both colors.

Just "mop" the surface of the water with newspaper or paper towels to skim off paint before doing another dunk. And make the dunks as soon as you can after the spraying, or the paint tends to go on in dried clumps.

And post pictures!

Please -- everyone do one of these!

Back