Painting Help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othersider

Reaction score
Hi, I'm totally new to painting rockets (before I just left them unpainted;)), and I need a few tips, as well as some answers.

First off, I want to paint my LOC IV like on the LOC website. What are the names of the colors that would best match the paint job (I've looked, and there are so many variations it confuses me)? Also, should I get spray paint or should I apply the paint with a brush?

How else should I finish the rocket?

Othersider,

I can only tell you what works for me...there are almost as many ways to paint as there are rocket models these days. Here are a few tips that I use:

NEVER brush on paint, unless you are fine painting a micro-rocket or a very small part. Spray paint is the prefered method and has probably painted the majority of rockets that have been built. Some people use an Airbrush to paint their model; this is fine if you have an airbrush and are painting smaller rockets, but doesn't work as well on larger models. Some of the largest models are actually shot with a "big gun"; I know of several people that have taken their models to an Automobile painter for the finishing coats, but these were rather large models.

Sand your model first. If you have spirals, fill them if you wish, but lightly sand the surface with some 220-400 grit paper. Roughening the surface helps the primer to adhere. Sand the fins, body tube and nosecone.

ALWAYS use primer! It gives you a solid base coat and primer is made specifically to adhere to different materials. It is the interface between your model and the paint. Paint alone can have difficulty adhering to some raw body tubes, nosecones and fins, where as primer is made just for this purpose. There are different kinds of primer put there and I prefer the Krylon white for regular priming and the Krylon Gray primer more for filling as it is thicker than the white.

Primer also is used as a filler and surface smoothing agent. That is why most of them are sandable, although some sand easier than others. I usually apply 3 or four light coats, then wetsand under a sink with the water running and I use Wet/Dry sandpaper during this process. If you sand down an area too much, let it dry and prime again. Primer is absolutely KEY to a good finish!!! When I am done, up to 10 coats of primer have been added/sanded/added/etc... you get the idea. Sanding usually starts with 220 grain Wet/Dry sandpaper and I finish with 400-600 grit sandpaper. The surface will feel like glass...that's when you know it is ready.

Filling...during the primer process, you can fill any divots or imperfections after the first coats. I have used Elmer’s Filler, Body filler and others, but my favorite is Evercoat Formula 27 General Purpose Filler, which can be purchased at most boating stores. It mixes easily, apply very smooth and creamy and dries like concrete. The beauty is it sands into a fine powder and doesn't clog the sandpaper like other fillers.

Now, you have filled, primed sanded, filled primed and sanded and the surface is ready for paint. Make sure the model is clean with no fingerprints, then hit it with a TAC rag to remove any lint. For paints, I use Krylon Spray Paints...they are inexpensive, dry extremely fast and can be recoated at anytime. Also, other paints like Testors can be painted over them without compatability problems. Whatever you use, stick with one paint for the model, so you keep problems out of your finish.

I lightly dust the first layer of paint, just enough to add color. Other coats are added, up to 3 or 4 coats total, until the surface is finished. A clearcoat is recommended to protect the paint job, but thats your call. Note too that I let the final primer sit for at least 48 hours before adding color. Any other colors can be added afer 48 hours if you use KRylon, otherwise wait nearly 4 days to do the next color as it really takes that long for some paints to harden.

Sure hoped this helped...and if it seems like I spent alot of time on the priming, you are right! Remember this...your finish is in the filling and primer...Paint is only used for color.

Godd luck,

Carl

Anyone know if Krylon and Rust-oleum are compatible paints? Will Rust-oleum cover on a Krylong primer? I've heard that the Krylon gray is a better primer for filling small gaps than the white. Yes? No?? Yes, Carl, I'm going to use primer....prime sand fill...prime sand fill...prime sand fill...prime sand.... :D

Kermie,

I can tell you from first hand experience that Krylon and Rustoleum DO NOT MIX WELL!!! I tried it once...ONCE...and spent 3 days using acetone to strip it down to primer/base again. It orange peeled like a mother! Never again.

The problem stems from the carrier; the chemicals they use to suspend and transfer the paint particles. This is what softens and attacks undercoats...kinda like spraying with a high acetone content and it reacts badly with previous coats. Krylon has a mild carrier and flashes (when this agent dries/evaporates) very fast. You can actually watch the paint flash.

I tend to stay away from Rustoleum...it takes over 4 days to really set up and harden and you either have to coat it all at once, or wait 48-72 hours between coats. Like I said, I stay away from it. I only have one rocket that has Rustoleum on it and the finish was nice, but no different than Krylon.

Also, Krylon is fairly cheap and can be found at any Wal-Mart, which is a nationwide chain.

Cya,

Carl

Good info to know. Unfortunately, my local Wally-World has a lousy selection of Krylon paints.

I have noticed that the Super Wal-Mart's have a much better selection of Krylon than others.

I went with Ken Parker to the Super WalMart in Kville and they had a huge selection! I got all excited and went to the Wal Mart here in High Point and was very disappointed with the selection they had.

Don't know if this is how it is everywhere, but you never can tell.

My problem is that I need a silver and a gold, and, for the life of me, I can't find the stuff anywhere. If anyone can get their hands on some, I would be more than happy to send you a check and/or a PayPal payment to get some. Time is short for me though, as I want to have the rocket ready by next Saturday. :(

After further expert advice from Carl, I'm going to make due with Testors, so cancel the Krylon request. Thanks again for all the great advice!

Back