Least favorite step...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugenefl

Reaction score
Ok, I am wondering if it is just me, but do any of you have a least favorite step in the finishing or building process? If so, why?

My least favorite step is sanding and sealing and sanding and sealing...etc. It is a very time consuming step and is the part I dread the most when finishing a kit.

There are very few rockets in my fleet that undergo sanding and sealing treatment. The funniest thing is that the rockets that get extra attention to detail are usually the rockets that don't get flown much because I am afraid of losing or damaging them. (It doesn't help when the rocket is white. Black soot from the exhaust on the ignitor clips leave great fingerprints on glossy white paint jobs.)

Anyways, I enjoy the flight part of rocketry the best. Gimme a brown tube and some bare wood and I'm good to go.

So is there any part of the rocket building process that you dislike?

No, it's not just you.

I hate that first coat of paint. It seems to be the first dissapointment on any model. Spots you forgot to sand, spots to fill, glareing errors, all first show up on the first coat of paint.

Here is a finishing technique I've used on a few clones of old kit and for some competition models that I just love.

Sand all the balsa (no plastic on these old copies) and paint on about four or five coats of clear model airplane dope.

This would only work on real old style models. I just love the look and feel. I'm in my fifties and the smell brings back some great old memories.

I have use this treatment on;

Astron Mark
Astron Spaceplane
Astron Drifter
Astron Constelation
Astron Ranger (3 engine cluster)

I just love the look. Try it just clear dope.

sandman

Well, I don't mind the priming, because you get to see the imperfections that you are going to sand out. And during the priming process you get to see those imperfections you worked out during last priming/sanding steps.

But sanding on the other hand, what a crappy job. First, I'm deathly afraid of sand paper. Just to think of it causes a chill to run down my spine. (I have gotten better with practice though :) ) Second, what a dirty, dusty, dingy, time consuming, crappy, boring job.

So, you have another vote for sanding. :D

I don't mind the sanding so much. I get very impatient with things when they start nearing an end.

For me, pouring fillets are painful because of the amount of time it takes for them to dry and harden. By the time I get to the fillets, the rocket is basically done except for painting (which is a close second on my least favorite steps.

Every rocket I've built I look at it and really wonder if I need to do fillets on it just to see if I can avoid that step.

Jason

Ok, guess it's time for my 3.141592654 cents worth...

I am torn between two dislikes:

Sanding...I have ALWAYS disliked sanding, for the last 15-20 years, it is by far one of my favorite things NOT to do. That is probably why I try to build so minimal sanding is required, from R/C balsa well fit joints on airplanes to Epoxy Fillets and fiberglass on rockets. My way of avoiding most of the inevidible...
And, now that I think about it, sanding doesn't even compare to filling and sanding. Filling kind of makes sanding take a back seat. I use good filler, but the sanding of it, while fairly easy to do is very messy. The only thing that makes it all tolerable is my power sanding tools I have, which make the work much easier.

Believe it or not, Painting is also included in this list...not because I don't like to do it. I enjoy wetsanding immensely and applying the color coats is a blast. Trim and striping is my favorite part as the rocket begins to really look like something. What I dislike is the fumes and overspray. I work with a respirator and lay down drop cloths, but really desire a paint room. An apartment is NOT the place to have to paint and was proven while doing my L3. THAT was a challenge! The overspray sucks, but outdoor painting with the dust and bugs is out. I would really have a passion for painting if I had a paint room. Wouldn't we all??? :)

Carl

Originally posted by CTulanko
<SNIP>

An apartment is NOT the place to have to paint and was proven while doing my L3. THAT was a challenge!

<SNIP>

Carl

An apartment is a trap for any rocketeer. I just wish I had more room to work, both inside and out, period. My neighbor across the way just moved out. It makes painting or using power tooks to cut fins for the rockets a heck of a lot better. I dislike the 100 and 1 questions you get while you're trying to work. Ever since 9/11, people tend to get nosy and ask MANY questions. I guess it is for the good of everyone though.

Oh yeah, it doesn't help that the FBI put out a notice that apartments can now be the target of terrorists. You should see the looks I get when I head out for a meet with large rockets in hand.

I hate finishing! I like the results and think I do okay at it, but I hate it.

I have to also warn people. Where a mask when spraying and sanding, your lungs will thank you!

Nick

I have the tendency to over-build any rocket. And I always try to out do myself.

So, I guess I hate the fact that such things take time.

Sanding is definitely a pain in the butt.

Aside from sanding, which seems to be a strong #1 amongst construction dislikes, is filleting. It took me YEARS to get the hang of a good filleting technique, but its still messier than anything. Epoxy rolls off the fin edge, down the tube, into the launch lug, etc. Yuck!

ibeblip, I hear you about trying to out-do yourself with each rocket. I'm that way about the paint schemes. I don't like it when one of my rockets comes out looking like another one [unless its supposed to; like a scale job]. Every time I finish painting one, I dread painting the next one for not knowing HOW I'm going to make that next one look.

Is there an echo in here? SANDING!

(Although I generally end up cutting corners on the entire finishing process. Example: using whatever primer and paint that I have leftover.)

OK, I'll admit it -- I'm sick ...

I like to sand! There, I've said it. Wow -- feels good to come out.

:D

For me, it is running down to the shop, and spending 5-30 minutes to do some sanding, tack rag the surface, prime, and come back another time to take the process further. I've been sanding/filling/priming my Orbital Transport for over a month!

Just put the white paint on it, and it looks pretty good. Turns out the white I used for transport (Testors Gloss White) is not the same white as I used on the glider (Model Masters Bright White) although same parent company. So, the gliders gets repainted. I also forgot to trim it before painting, and had to add nose weight, so I'll patch the hole where I installed weight (note: don't glue in nose cone prior to trimming!), fill, spot prime, and paint.

This one will use the JimZ "green" OT decals, the original kit had red ones.

One more thing: Anyone use Elmer's Fill 'n Finish? Since it is water based, I've had problems priming it with Kmart's Fresh 'n Easy primer, which is a lacquer primer. Kept bubbling. I had to go back Squadron Green Putty. I used this for filling seams and minor pits. The fins were sealed with AeroGloss Sanding Sealer -- basically clear dope with filler. I think this is the best method for filing balsa (like "sandman" -- I'm in the 50 crowd and like the old methods like using dope -- dope paint!)

Lee-

I'm pushing 50, think the dope-based sanding sealer works great, but still HATE to sand.

I've never had any problem with fill n finish but have never used Kmart primer. Once dry, I never would have suspected there's be a problem. Live and learn I guess.

Lee,

Great minds think alike. I just finished my OT last week with the same decals, JimZ did mine in red.

I build a 168% OT at the same time...two count them two models at the same time...he is amaaaazing.

Now if I can only get JimZ to finish my 168% decals

and sanding...why do you think my wife nicknamed me

"SANDMAN"?

Originally posted by sandman
Lee,

Great minds think alike. I just finished my OT last week with the same decals, JimZ did mine in red.

I build a 168% OT at the same time...two count them two models at the same time...he is amaaaazing.

Now if I can only get JimZ to finish my 168% decals

and sanding...why do you think my wife nicknamed me

"SANDMAN"?

My next project will be the 168% upscale of the Orbital Transport. When I got out the green decals for the "regular", I looked at the upscaled ones and wondered why I've waited so long.

BTW -- your real name isn't Dusty, is it??

:D

Yes I also hate sanding and sealing, but I have another dislike- The first fin. I dont mind the rest of the fins just the first. Fins are time consuming, but it is usualy worth it because that is when your rocket startes to take shape, but the first fin is not only time consuming, but the rocket still doesnt look right yet. Also, when I put on fins, I use the other fins to align the one Im putting on. If I mess up the first fin, I mess them all up. I usualy end up with a 2 week delay between the beggining of the rocket and the first fin, I have to work up to the courage to start.

----------------
-Paul

Originally posted by Paul
I usually end up with a 2 week delay between the beggining of the rocket and the first fin, I have to work up to the courage to start.

*LOL* I definitely here you there! Its the one part [well, 3 or 4 parts] that you >really< don't want to screw up! Mixing the epoxy for the first fin always seems so final, doesn't it? You're hoping for some excuse to get you out of it.

Then again, it could be a sign of committment issues.

Originally posted by gothique_97

*LOL* I definitely here you there! Its the one part [well, 3 or 4 parts] that you >really< don't want to screw up! Mixing the epoxy for the first fin always seems so final, doesn't it? You're hoping for some excuse to get you out of it.

Then again, it could be a sign of committment issues.

LOL, this is too funny! I have actually "floated" a fin over the body tube for so long that the CA dried up. (Yes, I never actually made the 2 parts touch!) I guess it is some sort of anxiety or the feeling of fear of screwing it up. Oh, the joys of construction! ;)

Blah, blah, blah, I never have a fear of gluing a fin on crooked. I have done it so many times it just doesn't bother me anymore. :)

I have yet to have a rocket come apart due to crooked fins. My next test is my re-built Rocketman Explorer-7. After a chuteless recovery, I got the chance to replace the phenolic tubing and re-build the fin can. I decided to build the can separately and then slide it into the replacement tube. Somehow I REALLY got one of the fins on crooked. Dunno if it was the first one or not. It was so bad, and so well attached with epoxy and fiberglass that it wouldn't come off for re-alignment. So, I decided not to invest in a real rocket tube. Instead, it got a 48" x 4" cardboard mailing tube.

And, just to stay on topic, I didn't do any filling or sanding. Just a coat of primer and the top coats. It will go up on an I211 if my order ever arrives (supposedly will be picked up at LDRS).

Bet it will be just fine :D

Originally posted by Paul
Yes I also hate sanding and sealing, but I have another dislike- The first fin. I dont mind the rest of the fins just the first. Fins are time consuming, ...

I quit doing fins, it was just so stressful. I get my neighbor Lars to do it. He is a pro. But it's no wonder -- he's from Finland ...

(sorry ...) :)

Lee:
Please forgive me for saying so . . . But that's the sort of joke my mother always hits me with.

However, and although no offense is really intended, I think you ought to be taken out to a very remote place and hurt real bad.

Lee, I gotta agree with blip on this one... that Lars and "Finland" thing was really awful. You should be shot.

OK, OK.... so I laughed so hard the screw came out of my navel and me arse fell off.

But it was still bad..... really bad.... (sniff,sniff) - how bad was it? I smell skunk...

Yes, the Finland thing was bad, but I think we can get past it, hoping that Lee has learned his leason.
Back to fins: I cant stand really crooked fins on my scratch built models. It doesnt bother me if its a kit modle, but I am so proud of my scratch designs that I put them in an area where I can look at them and a crooked fin is one of those glaring errors that drives me crazy. If a fin goes on crooked I usualy tear it off.

-Paul

Don't let them get to you Lee... it takes a certain sense of humor to appreciate this type of joke. I liked it. :D

Finland! HARDYHARHARHARHAHahaha!!!

Sorry Milo, I must disagree with you. Making jokes about someones culture is not right. This particular one was not that bad however.

-Paul

Hey, Lars didn't mind. And it was no slam to his culture. Heck, he appreciated the kudos for being able to put on a straight fin ...

Now you have me wondering about his painting skills -- could he be a pro at spraying on a good Finnish?

Stay tuned ...

Finnish? That was so bad that it was kinda funny.

-Paul

Back