Loc Iv

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othersider

Reaction score
Hi, I just got my LOC IV Wednesday, and I already love it:D. Because it's my first mid-powered kit and also my first non-Estes kit, if feels really strong and impressive...

Anyways, I was wondering if anybody could give me some tips on building this rocket or just building rockets in general.

Thanks!

Well, looks like I get the honors of giving you the first tip. So, here it is:

Take Lots Of Pictures :)
This will document your progress for the rest of the world (like the Rocketry Forum) and will allow you to submit a review to EMRR with pictures.

So, I hope to see a bunch of build pics in this thread in the upcoming days. :D

I'll try to get as many pics as I can:). I just starting this evening (unfortunately no pics yet) with the motor mount and the centering rings. This was my first experience using epoxy (finally moved away from Elmers;)), and I used the centering ring technique that I found on John Coker's rocketry page.

my dad orderd his first kit in years, hes becoming a BAR! anyway, its the LOC IV, any suggestions in construction for him will be appreciated

i ordered a stovi, and i have a legacy, LOC seems to be really good at what they do

Scott M
NAR 79800 Level .75

The only thing I can think to say about the LOC IV is to build it with uber-thick fillets. Because the fins extend below the bottom of the airframe, they are going to have to absorb the impact of the rocket hitting the ground [even under a fully deployed parachute, you can pop a fin right off on a hard surface]. So build up the fillets real good.

before you get to far ......plan some type of motor retention

yeah, weve been contemplating a retention system. what would you reccomend? and is there a system that is easily retro fitted on a 3inch kit with a 29mm mount, and a 54mm ID rocket with a 29 mount?

and im getting a stovi, should i add clips for the outboard motors?

Scott M
NAR 79800 Level .75

Another thing you can do to the LOC IV...
Epoxy Shish-ka-bob (sp??) skewers on either side of the fin root where it just comes inside the body tube...This makes them VERY diificult to pull out on a hard landing, or crazy flight.
My Buddy used this method on his LOC Graduator, and he flies that exclusively on Kosdon I-800's for unreal neck cracking flights...the thing just disappears off the pad...you have to wait and look for the smoke trail to pick it up again...it ges through Mach at about 100ft or so...he's flown it over a dozen times on
I-800's, and it's built bone stock except for the skewers...no fiberglass or anything like that...

Ron

Back