Comanche 3 stage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kat3595

Reaction score
My son has an estes comanche 3 stage rocket we tried to fly for the first time. we inserted the 2nd stage motor into the 1st stage D motor as described in the directions. at burn out everything just popped. the 1st stage seperated and was recovered the rest of the rocket floated down on its side. Why do you think we didn't get the 2nd stage to ignite.

thanks

ray crane

tra #8735 L2

Try scratching the propellant of the second and third stage motors with a non-sparking material such as aluminum or brass. Do not use paper clips, coat hangers, or any magnetic metals.

That way the glaze is removed from the propellant, and makes ignition easier when the ejection charge of the motor below blows into the nozzle ahead of it.

That happenen to me on my first flight also. The other responses seem to cover the bases. I suspect the method of taping the motors was my problem. On the third flight, all stages lit and the sustainer was never seen again, be careful what you wish for....:D

Latest posts

Back