slotting craft tubes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ouly

Reaction score
Hi all. Whats the easiest way to slot a craft paper tube for TTW construction? I could just try to hold a straight edge and cut but I'll mess that up for sure. Can I use a narrow cutting wheel on the table saw and lower the tube slowly or will it just tear the layers off? I don't want to slot all the way to the base.

I've used the Exacto method...just takes patience (that I don't have). I have also used a Dremel with 3 of the thin cutting wheels. Works best if the middle wheel is worn and is smaller than the other two. Finally, I have used a RotoZip with a grinder attachment. These are rated from the slowest but easiest to control, to the quickest and the hardest to control.

That doesn't answer your question about the saw. Sorry.

Thanks rstaff3. I think I'll go with the exacto afterall. The thought of putting a paper tube near the tablesaw cutting wheel is just a little too scary for me.

I use hobby knifes too, but, be sure you are using a new blade and don't try to go through on the first pass.

I don't use a straight edge on TTW slots. I draw the line and then trace the line with the hobby knife. A little variation is not a problem as it will be filled with glue and fillets anyways (my opinion).

I do nearly the same when cutting a tube to length. Only I typically take a piece of masking tape and wrap the tube and use the tape as the edge guide.

You may want to try masking tape on the slots too as a guide.

- Nick

Back