Conformal rail Guides and UHMW rail

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgabb

Reaction score
I am in the process of building a rail pad and am looking at either the Blacksky rail or the 1 1/2"UHMW rail that is available from McMaster Carr. I prefer to use conformal rail lugs but don't know if they will work in the UHMW rail. Input?:confused:

The 1.5" rail (aka 80/20's 1515) is not compatible with your standard rail guides or shoes. The only compatible guides that I know of are my Series 1500 buttons.

However, McMaster's 1" rail (aka 80/20's 1010) is compatible with BSR buttons as well as the conformal shoes. Regardless of the rail, it's been my experience that the conformal shoes have a tendency to bind due to their shape. Then again, I AM a bit biased... :)

If you require the larger rail size for support and you want to stick with the conformal shoes then my advice would be BlackSky's "HPR Rail". It has the same size channel as their "Standard Rail" but is attached to a fairly beefy backbone.

I also have an article regarding surface-mount techniques of standard buttons if that is also of concern:
https://www.railbuttons.com/rb/articles.asp

A very long-winded response to a short question, I hope it helps...

Back