SRB model postponed

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ouly

Reaction score
Thought I'd let you know that I had to postpone my SRB model. I just couldn't keep the weight under 1 pound with the materials I have on hand. I'll try again when I get some lighter tubes. Instead I'm starting a more conventional model with quick-change motor mounts to allow for a variety of engine configurations. I finished turning the nosecone today and let me tell you, turning balsa on a lathe is certainly not for the uninitiated. It was a lot harder than I initially though and take extreme care when sanding on the lathe. It cuts real fast! I cut down too far on my first attempt but the second one turned out fine.

All I have to say, is good for you for even trying to turn your own nose cone!

Nick

I've had pretty good luck turning cones from both balsa and foam on a hand drill. I do OK getting the general shape I want but would have a hard time getting an exact (scale) shape. Maybe if I had the right template, and went slow?

What I fount REALLY challengine is an 8" x ~3ft conce from stacked 2" foam. Worked my butt off getting the corners down and some rough sanding. Luckily my wife had access to a woodshop thru the scholl she was subbing at. Even with the lathe it was slow and messy.

I have a lathe and have turned just a few nose cones.my Trouble is centering the workpiece. Pilot holes help, as balsa’s density will deflect the tailpieces.

A template is necessary. I think one made from aluminum would work great. Cutting it would be tricky, although I vaguely remember seeing a video of somebody etching a thin metal sheet with one substance and washing it with another, and magically the metal separates along the etched lines. As I recall, the cut looked pretty clean. If there was any finishing up, it was minimal, or I just don’t remember it. One would only need the top half of the nose cone template to fit over the workpiece as you fashion it. Put a collar (a short section of the tube it will fit into) on one of your tailpieces so as you work you can check for fit without disassembly.

Once I get the General shape and length with the work knives, I start sanding. A shop vac helps keep the area clean, but noisy, and you should be able to breath. As you get closer to your desired shape, switch to finer grit.

Man, this thread's OP has been slow... I joined 11 years after he did, and I have over 1000 times the number of posts he does.

Man, this thread's OP has been slow... I joined 11 years after he did, and I have over 1000 times the number of posts he does.

The OP was last seen on Jun2 29, 2002. Too late for search parties?

Back