oatmeal container???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerbs4me

Reaction score
Would the larger size Quaker oats container work as a rocket body? I thinking it might work. but it might be a little to wide. Building tips are welcome.

Too wide, you GOTTA be kidding :D I used a large plastic Easter egg for the NC, cut my own plywood rings for the 29mm mount, and made large fins out of foam posterboard (reinforced with dowels). No pics, sorry, and its now dead (no fault of the oats container).

I have heard of someone making a scale Mercury Redstone from them too. They are not real strong so for a bigger project a layer(s) of glass or internal support may be in order.

Mark,

Wasn't the body of the Big Daddy about the size of an Oatmeal canister. I know is was pretty wide, but maybe not that wide? If so, the Big Daddy was great. It flew true and made a great noise at take-off.

Here is a pics of one of our guy's rocket he scratch built completely from Quaker Oats cans. Pretty ingenious...it flew to about 150' on a D12-3.

Carl

<a href="reviews/quaker.jpg">Quaker Oats Rocket<br></a>

Originally posted by ShutterBug
Mark,

Wasn't the body of the Big Daddy about the size of an Oatmeal canister. I know is was pretty wide, but maybe not that wide? If so, the Big Daddy was great. It flew true and made a great noise at take-off.
The Big Daddy is a 3" diameter tube. If my guess is correct, I would assume that an oatmeal container is about 4" in diameter. The Big Daddy sure did sound cool though. ;)

Originally posted by MarkABrown
....an oatmeal container is about 4" in diameter...

The large oatmeal bins are ~5" diameter. There are also smaller ones, but I don't know their diameter. They might be pretty close to a Big Daddy, tho.

Originally posted by gerbs4me
Would the larger size Quaker oats container work as a rocket body? I thinking it might work. but it might be a little to wide. Building tips are welcome.

Just make sure you have the "grain" oriented correctly ...

:D

Originally posted by Lee Reep

Just make sure you have the "grain" oriented correctly ...

:D

Hehehehe. I think we should begin discussing the merits of manufacturing your own glue from the contents.

i'm going to try to make an oatmeal container rocket. the picture of the oatmeal rocket was awesome.

Back