stupid lauch rod question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question for most of you but at what point should you go from a small Estes Launch pad and rod to a larger launch rod or a whole new pad? Im building a cluster rocket with a D12-3 and a pair or C6-3s. It is ROUGHLY a little over a meter in height. Do I need to go bigger then the 3mm launch rod on a small Estes pad? Thanks for the help:)

While I am certainly no expert in this subject, a rocket of that size could probably use a larger pad than that.

I think everyone on here probably has their own version of this launch pad, but hey, it's cheap and easy to build!

Carl, I took your 5Mb zip file and turned it into a .pdf file for ya, 273k now. :D
Launch pad plans

Here's a pic of mine:

Jason

Best thing to do would be to simulate your rocket flight. Download the free demo version of Rocksim from Apogee Rockets and enter in your rocket dimensions. When you launch, check the simulation after its done. You want to have a launch speed when the rocket leaves the rod of about 45 ft/sec. If its less, lengthen the launch rod on the general tab of the rocket design utility and rerun the simulation.

Can't be sure without simming it. Definitely a heads-up flight.

You may be ok with the larger Estes rod (3/16"). You should check that you have at least a 5-to-1 thrust to weight ratio. You should also add a second (or third) lug near the bottom of the rocket. Also, make sure the rod doesn't lean over with the rocket on it. The other thing to consider for safety, is what'll happen if all motors don't fire. That is, it may be fine on a D and 2 Cs, or even a D by itself, but what if only one C lights? This is a real possibility with an Estes launch controller.

Since you will surely want a bigger pad in the future, why wait? I suggest you consider building one. I see someone else gave some ideas. I personally like the BlackSky rail, but this will cost some money. There are plans to build a compatible rail here https://www.railbuttons.com/rb/ , along with cheap rail buttons.

For a controller, Pratt Hobbies sells a nice little controller called the GO BOX. This hooks to the lighter of a car and works great. You can also buy a 12v rechargable battery pack from Pratt in case you don't want to be tied to a car.

OK that sounds like some good advice. I think that for now I will leave this rocket with just a D12-3. It is pretty light for its size so itll be okay. While I finish it I will either build or make a more heavy duty launch pad for future projects. Thanks for all the help.

-Paul

So, in the end why did the chicken cross the road?

Not sure if this is what Jase was talking about but on rocketry online there are planes to build a all PVC pad simple to build and will hold all but a half inch rods.

Back