G10 fin question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marclee

Reaction score
Please forgive my obvious ignorance here but: I have never built a PML kit before. My question is, on those G10 fiberglass fins, are you supposed to sand an airfoil shape into them like any normal wood fin or are you supposed to leave them "square". And if so, can I just use normal sanding techniques with the fiberglass?

Again, I'm new to this G10 thing so go easy on me. :eek: :confused:

Marclee,

I sand and round the edges and slightly round the tips, just enough for paint to stick well......which it won't do on sharp corners. Also, I sand the whole fin with 100 grit (which you can use for the edges too), so paint will stick better.

Carl

Be sure to rough the surfaces where epoxy will be applied too. (The rougher, the better) That way the bond is enhanced.
And wear a respirator or particle mask because the dust is not people friendly.

You can sand an airfoil into them, for aerodynamic or finish reasons, but it's not necessary. The G10 fins are so thin they will neither destroy your finish if unairfoiled, neither will they have a major impact on the rocket's performance.

You might want to sand the surfaces lightly for the paint to stick better - 400 or 600 grit.

Oliver

Thanks to all of you guys. I am off to sand G-10 fins. I'm working on a PML Bullpup and I'll post some pics when it's done. Thanks again.

Marc

Back