Low-power launch tower plans

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishhead

Huge Member
Reaction score
I've seen quite a few launch towers offered online, but most have been geared toward high power rockets and are on the high-priced side. Does anyone know of any plans for the construction of a smaller tower system for use with mod-rocs? From what I've seen, it might be a doable project without plans, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable having something to refer to.

The Jan/Feb 2001 Sport Rocketry mag had plans for a 'quick-tower'. Basically a spent engine casing, covered by 2 layers of body tube. 18" dowels glued to this. Add a launch lug so it will slip over an existing rod. Of course the dowels have to be aligned and pretty straight.

Only good for 13, 18, 24mm rockets, etc.

I'm sure you wanted something fancier, but I thought I'd share it anyway. Electrons are cheap.

Probably best to look at the commercail ones and imitate...

Actually, this might be just what I'm looking for. I've forgotten to put lugs on several models over the past year, some blind spot I have or something, and I figured that a tower might be just what I needed. I'd like to try a homemade one first to see if I like it. I don't have this issue, but I'm sure my brother in law has a copy. (Tony, if you read this, see if you can dig this issue out and copy it for me.)

Courtesy Rocketry Online

Giant Leap Rocketry, Inc., announces the release of their new Tower Launchers. They attach to any pad that accepts a 1/2" rod. "Towers are the secret weapon for high altitude flights, because they allow you to launch rockets without the use of lugs or rail guides", says Ed Shihadeh of Giant Leap Rocketry. This preserves the laminar flow over the rocket, thereby reducing drag. The Towers are all stainless steel, and connected with stainless steel welds. They also include adjustable standoffs to set the rocket above the blast deflector. These Tower Launchers are exclusive to Giant Leap Rocketry. Ed also welcomes club orders. The 38mm and 54mm Towers retail for $79.95, while the 3" Tower retails for $89.95. The Tower Launchers can be seen at
www.giantleaprocketry.com
I know you'd like to build your own, but there are some really good pictures of how Giant Leap is making their's on their website.

Back