2 Parachute question...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGerringer

Ruler of Heck
Reaction score
I know this isn't really a Technique but I couldn't figure out where to put it. So, has anyone tried to use 2 parachutes at the same time? Much like the space capsules of old used 3 so slow their decent, I would like to try 2 on my single deployment rocket. But, when I put it in Rocksim, the second chute doesn't seem to affect the decent. Anyone have any ideas?

I tried it twice, and had trouble getting both parachutes to deploy. My suggestion, if you have plenty of motors to burn to thoroughly investigate this [and provide full results to us], is to try a number of combinations, but start with parachutes of the same size attached at the same point. Try wrapping them up within each other to ensure they will both deploy simultaneously.

As for Rsim, you might try searching Tim's site. I think I saw something about multiple chutes in one of his newsletters? I also think one of the chute simulators on Infocentral handles multiple chutes.

I have an article by Bob Stroud that says you should use three chutes vs. two - that the three chute configuration is more stable. Also, each chute should have its own riser system to a common attachment point on the recovery harness. The chutes should deploy at the same time, and a deployment bag helps in this regard.

I'm not shure what the tradeoff is between 3-chute stability vs. actually getting 2 chutes to deploy and not tangle. 3 may be a lot harder than 2?

I have an AeroTech Astrobee-D. The rocket is separated by the ejection charge and came with two chutes that were grossly inadequate. So, I made a bigger one for the payload section and two more of the same size for the booster section. -24 inch each, 1 red and 2 blue-

When packing these chutes and prepping the rocket for flight, it is important to place the parachute for the payload section into the booster section first. Then pack the chutes for the booster section. This way, the ejection charge pushes the parachutes forward and the payload section parachute pulls the booster section parachutes out.

It's worked like a charm (every time) for me.

Back