Metalizer paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGerringer

Ruler of Heck
Reaction score
Anybody ever used it on a rocket? I was thinking about a titanium color on my latest build but with metalizer paint, you have to buff it. I'm not sure I would want to buff a 48"x7' rocket. Besides, how would it look with a clear coat over it? Tips? Gotchas? Any info would be helpful.

I have used the titanium metalizer. Didn't buff it and didn't clear coat it. I bought the clear coat but liked it so well I didn't press my luck. It covers well, that is if you paint an unprimed tan tube and a white NC they come out the same color, which is not always the case. They react badly with other paints but as I remember works fine over Krylon primer. Test it before you use it. Finally it seems pretty tough. It goes on thin and doesn't tend to chip off.

Cool, did you have it on one of your rockets? You wouldn't happen to have a pic of what it looked like? How long before wear and tear chipped the paint?

Let me gram the cheapo digital camera and see if I can get a pic. May not be that geat but I'll try. I'll respond again shortly!

I tried to get a pic that did justice to the finish, but couldn't do it with my $35 camera. Looking at the finish, the only paint issue is a slight scratch where the rail rubs against the airframe. There is a ding on one fin but the paint is covered by a decal. I've only logged 4 flights.

I used Modelmaster 1454 Titanium. It gave a nice metalic, semi-gloss finish. Let my try to attach a picture.

Nice rocket bud. That is the color. It looks good, but why didn't you buff it? Well, anyway, you have given me the confidence to move forward and try the paint. The NGs suggestion is to also put Future spray polish as a sealer. I think I will buff and use Future. I will report what happens in a couple of weeks.

Yea, let me know how it goes. Its still not too late for me to buff and seal :)

That would be interesting to see how it buffs after time. The NGs also said that the decals would peel off of the metalized paint if not sealed. You obviously made a liar out of them. :) Good job.

I just looked at the paint can and it referenced a booklet for the buffing instructions. You got a copy? I can't find mine. If so, can you give a quick summary? Haven't tried to look online.

All my information comes from NGs. I can't seem to find anything official on the net. (let me know if you come across anything) Here is what I think so far: Buffing Metalizer is a mess. When you first spray it the flecks of metal go everywhere. After 20 min, use a cotton cloth to gently buff the Metalizer. Do not mask as it will marr the metal. Do not handle cause each time you handle it, you rub some of the metal off. Do not clear coat cause it will ruin the finish. The proper order is Paint, sealer, buff, decals. Lots of people have problems.

OK, that is all I found. That is 100% reading and 0% practice. But it looks like you did great with it. You used the Titanium Buffing Metalizer right? Well, anyway, you have given me faith to try it oh Jedi Master. I'm going to go get a can tomorrow and test it on some spare tubes I have around the house.

Yes it was buffing metalizer. Now that I think of it, I may very well have wiped it down. But no big process. When I hear buffing, my mind pictures a buffing wheel on a drill. Makes me also wonder if I used the sealer and don't remember???? Geesh, the memory is the first thing to go and I can't remember the second. If you do a test and a decal won't adhere, I guess maybe that's the case.

I did some testing and here are the results:

Test 1: I sprayed plywood without primer. The rumor was that it was so thick it didn't need primer. Well, that was bunk. It went on fine but some of the paint soaked into the wood. I tried the buffing (no compound) and it shined up but still not acceptable.

Test 2: 3 coats of primer, sanded smooth. I sprayed one coat of metalizer. I was following the can's instructions this time so I waited an hour and used a cotton cloth (no compound) to lightly buff. Well, it needed more than lightly. So, I buffed it until no color showed up on the cloth. It was shiney, but still not impressive.

Test 3: Thinking I needed to seal Test 2 to make it look better, I put some spray wax on Test 2. I buffed again (no compound) but still not impressive.

Today I plan on clear coating Test 3. I expect I could get a better shine out of high gloss clear coat. I will see. Anyway, I love the Titanium color, kinda like a light charcoal. Very nice. I will let ya know what happens in my future tests.

Back