Cert Level 3 Kit Controvercy...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGerringer

Ruler of Heck
Reaction score
So, someone tells me there is a controvercy over whether a cert level 3 kit is good for certifying. Does anyone know what this is about? I was looking at the Mega-Nuk to use as a possible level 3 and wonder if a kit can be used.

I believe you can certify with a kit. You could email Bill Rossi at Smokin Rockets. I'm sure he knows people who have done so. You should also contact the TAP members you plan to work with to see what they say.

However, I remember seeing that certifications weren't allowed on the aluminum Dr. Rocket 'kit', that has/had a fin unit that is integral to the M-motor's rear closure and a body tube integral to the forward closure. It was deemed that it was too much a 'ready to fly' rocket. However, the Doctor was allowed to certify with it since he developed it.

What controversy?
Unless the rules have changed, the construction of a kit was and still is OK. Attaining Level 3 certification is more about construction skills and positive recovery of the vehicle in the manner specified by the the guy or guyette attempting certification.
In other words, whatever manner of deployment of the recovery system is intended prior to flight had better happen as planned.

Actually, Bill Rossi was the guy who mentioned the controversy. He was very nice and supplied me with a rocksim of the Mega-Nuk. I was just wondering if anyone heard about it. I looked at the Tripoli rules and the steps are quite specific. They do not include a "no-kit" step.

What they said above is correct...you can L3 certify on a kit...many people have done it. Some people do feel though that if you are going to cert L3, you should be able to scratch build, but it is not a requirement.

Carl

L3 in process...
https://www.rocketryforum.com/amraam

Still not sure what the controversy is about here either... Guess it is nothing.

That's a relief.
Here I was thinking that you (Mr. Gerringer) were entertaining the idea of Level 3 Cert. and some maniac purist told you a kit wouldn't do.
Kits are cheaper than scratch building, unless of course all the materials needed are already in house. But at Level 3 . . . well, let it suffice in saying that a kit is a good start.

That was what I was thinking too. I'm thinking about getting the base Mega-Nuk and making it stronger, faster, able to leap.... Wait, that is a different forum. Anyway, I had planned on doing the glassing myself, designing my own alt bay, etc. It would just suck to put all this together and then the TAP says I can't...

Working with a TAP (Tripoli Advisory Panel) member shouldn't be difficult. You can find the one's that may be in your area by visiting the Tripoli Web Site.
If you know anyone that has already attained Level 3 Cert. it would be wise to confer with them too. Chances are, that person would be an excellent mentor and liason in communicating with the TAP member of your choice.

So, someone tells me there is a controvercy over whether a cert level 3 kit is good for certifying. Does anyone know what this is about? I was looking at the Mega-Nuk to use as a possible level 3 and wonder if a kit can be used.

My, phone. Is back at 2001 postings...

I'm sorry....lol...

Michael B....

I did my Level 3 cert with a Mega Nuke and it looks like you've had 15 years to do the same, lol.

Back