Newbie Engine ?'s

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

Reaction score
Hi everybody.

I've just recently gotten into the hobby and have a couple of small Estes rockets.

I'm wondering if you can mix engine and rocket manufacturers.:confused: Such as using Aerotech engines in Estes rockets and vice versa.

Any advice is appreciated!

Jason

Theoretically yes. BUT, for an Estes rocket to survive any composite motor, you'll want to build it extra-strong; with epoxy, 3/16" lugs, etc. I once put a D21 in an Estes Yellowjacket built with white glue [and very small fillets]. I found it minus one fin and a kink in the tube above the motor mount.

Other than that, there's no problem at all with mixing rocket and engine manufacturers. When using Estes motors in bigger rockets, be sure it'll safely get off the ground [use the 5:1 thrust:weight ratio]. Also, be sure that the delay is appropriate; an E30-4 with eject awfully early in almost any Estes rocket.

With the Aerotech motors, you'll notice that the ignitor is a flat strip of copper with a black flammable substance on one end. These are actually two thin strips separated by plastic. To make these work with alligator clips [as you'd use with Estes ignitors], hold a lit match or lighter for a couple of seconds under the bare end [>NOT< the end with the pyrogen]. The plastic will melt and you can separate the copper strips. Do this ONLY for the bottom couple of inches; don't try to tear apart the whole ignitor.

Two other ways to deal with AT Copperhead igniters:

1 - place two pieces of masking tape on opposite sides of the igniter and then put your alligator clips on the pieces of masking tape.

2 - Aerotech does make a special clip for the Copperhead igniters. Some people actually like them - :) .

If you want to see some Estes rockets that have been altered to handle AT motors, let me know. You can come visit sometime and I'll be happy to show you a number of them.

LOL! I completely forgot about putting masking tape on each side! Its been so long.

But I do remember the Interlock clip. I must have gone through a dozen of those things before I learned other ways to deal with the ignitors [masking tape, split the leads, toss 'em and use thermalite]. I was always leaving them at the pad at major launches.

Jason,

I'm sure this is becoming obvious to you as you ease back into rocketry. Motors and rockets are very interchangeable due to the standard motor diameters in use today. You'll find that Estes A-C engines are 18mm. The D's run 24mm and then the larger motors run 29mm, 38mm and end up around 54mm (and go higher from there). These sizes are from the "standard" or popular motor manufacturers like Aerotech, Estes, Quest, PML, etc.

Having been given that caveat about stronger building techniques in previous posts, you can see that mixing motor "brands" with different rockets is acceptable and widely practiced.

Once you're out of the Estes and Quest realm, you'll find rocket kit makers that make kits only, and do not sell engines. These are designed to use the "standard" motors in the sizes I mentioned. One could build a kit from, say, "The Launch Pad" and stick an Estes "D" motor in it.

So, as long as your building techniques are proper and your rocket design is correct, you can use any of the standard engine mounts and, consequently, use any of the engines out there in the rocket world. This being said without stating the obvious; that you wouldn't pair-up a tiny rocket with a huge and inappropriate engine and that safety is primary.

Everbody agreed that you can if you build with the rite kind of stuff. If you need help with that e-mail or better yet post a question.

Back