should I build a mid power now?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nohup

Reaction score
I have been hoping to build my first mid power rocket this winter, and had pretty much decided on the Aerotech Mustang, but now I'm worried about the Aerotech engine shortage. Since I'm new to this I kinda want to start with single use motors. Besides Aerothech, what other choices do I have? I don't want to build this and then have no engines for an unknown time period. Or should I stick w/ the Estes D & E engines for a while? Does anyone have experience using the Aerotech 18mm D & 24mm E engines ?

Also, can someone point me towards some good info on how the reloadable systems work, so I can evaluate that alternative?
Thanks, and Happy New Year:cool:

From my experience at my local hobby store, the availablity of E-Gs is still there. There seems to be less of them but they are still available in decent supply. Could be different in your area. Check around.

Reloads are cool. I've never reloaded anything smaller than a 29mm but Mark Brown has. Tell him about it Mark.... :)

I love the 24mm RMS! In fact, I've been considering buying a few more of the 24mm cases so I could use them in a cluster. :p As far as RMS in general, I would give them a try. The mid power stuff seems to be more available in Reloadables than single uses. One caveat though, if you decide to go the RMS route, ask someone at a local launch to walk you through your first assembly. I'm sure that no matter who you ask, they'd be more than happy (maybe even flattered) to help you out. Don't get me wrong, it's not hard to do but, until you learn the names of each part, the directions can be confusing.

If you've got anymore questions, I'd be glad to answer if I can. Post away! :)

nohup,

when I first got into RMS, I had no idea where all those O-rings, spacers and parts went...but I was persistent. Check out the following link; by watching every movie, I learned step by step, using the instructions along with the videos, on how to assemble RMS motors. It helped tremendously and now is second nature to me, but...even though I can do them by heart now, I still open the instructions EVERY time!!!

I downloaded these movie instructions and put them on my laptop to take to the field. What a help they were!

Go here for the assembly movies:

https://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/customersite/theatre/index-RMS29-40.html

Note that even though it's for a 29mm system, the 24mm works the exact same way. I started on the 24mm RMS and am glad I did; building your own motor is a real thrill!!!

Godd luck,

Carl

to me some of you seem kind of dumb cause the rms is really easya nd the newer instructions are clear as h**l. sorry i just dont see the problem

Well, SLIK, unless your intent is but to taunt or agitate . . . please feel free to expound.

Gosh! Golly! Gee Whiz! I never thought any of the guys on this forum were dumb until you came along and said it.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I sure would like to hear a more detailed account of your personal experience(s) with reloadable motor systems.

Oh, and one more thing Nohup. When you first look at reloadables, they seem a bit intimidating. But after you have done it a couple of times, it becomes a piece of cake. My suggestion is for you to have an experienced RMS guy watch (show) you for your first couple of reloads just to be sure and safe.

And to answer your question, I don't think there are eally any "good" sources for RMS instructions. You can get the Aerotech reload instructions from their web site. You can also get some ideas from Pro38 and Dr Rocket.

Personally, I think it is worth all the effort. And, yes, build your mid powered now!!! But remember, once you start down the power path, you will never go back to Estes. :)

see ive never done an rms so im just as dumb. i just dont think it looks that hard

It isn't that hard, when you have done it a few times. Trust me, when you open your motor pack for the first time and all those parts spill out, you will scratch your head and grunt, "rut-roh-raggie". But once you get into it, you will find it tough to use anything else.

Well, first of all, thanks everyone for all your advice. The good news is since Aerotech announced they'll be able to get back in production, I've decided to build a Mustang sometime soon. Hence my recent request for fin jig plans, admirably fulfilled, I might add.

Slick, you might feel differently, but I don't think it is a bad idea to ask advice from others with more experience than I have. The people here are helpful, why not ask their advice? I prefer to deal with the construction of a good rocket first, and learn about the RMS later. One step at a time. That's the way I write computer programs (not so subtle reference to not being a totally dumb guy, though perhaps misguided :D )

Anyway, in the mean while, may all your launches be straight and true, and no trees eat your rockets.

ohh im with yopu all the way. i always ask this one guy about rockets. hes my mentor ........ well on rockets anyhow. I wanted to build a kit first also but i just started mid power less then 6 months ago and im into rms. they are alot cheaper (sometimes 7 dollars cheaper). Im jusgt sayin they arent that hard to put together. also you can go toaerotech.com and find a vidoe of the whole prosess. props

Back